Author Topic: Brewer Bio (Chris Bartos)  (Read 1986 times)

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
  • Ten Years Brewing
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio (Chris Bartos)
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
Who Are You (please include a picture): 

Chris Bartos

Home Town (City, State):
Columbus, OH

Homebrew Club:
The Scioto, Olentangy and Darby Zymurgists (SODZ)

I've been a homebrewer since:

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?
I brewed a beer on one Friday after work. Went home to visit my family for the weekend and when I came back to check on my beer, my fermenting bucket had exploded and beer went everywhere (ceilings, walls, etc..). It was quite the clean-up.

What is your favorite style(s) to brew?
I'm a big Imperial Stout fan. I brew a lot of IPAs and Porters as well.

What style(s) will you never brew?
I can't choose a style I would never brew. I see myself brewing all of the styles and even invent my own styles at some point. Currently, I can't brew a lager because I don't have a refrigerator, but it's just a matter of time.

What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out?
It was an English style Pale Ale from a kit that came with my first brew set. It was very watery. My friends used the words "earthy" and "sediment-y"

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?
I brewed an Imperial Coffee Stout at too high of temperatures and I could pick out a lot of Fusel Alcohols. But, after a few months of aging, the harshness went away and the coffee taste and aroma came out beautifully.

What is your favorite beer recipe?
"The Sloth" a Belgian-style Dark Ale that I invented.

Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?
No, I'm not a BJCP judge. I would like to be someday.

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc?
My only trick:
Don't torture yourself thinking about all the things you should have done or failed to do. Relax, Don't worry, have a homebrew. Works every time!

Describe your brew system.
I used to brew only extract until after Christmas last year. Now, I have a 10 gallon mash-tun, an 8 gallon brew kettle, 5-gallon kettle and an 8 gallon glass carboy and a 5.5 gallon glass carboy. I hardly ever use secondary fermentors and I still bottle condition. I'm currently saving up for a kegging system.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?
4-5 times a month. As soon as I have an open carboy, you will find me brewing a batch. I'm obsessed.

What is your favorite malt?  Why?
I'm a fan of Chocolate Malt. I like the chocolate favor it brings out in beer. Chocolate flavors from Chocolate malt, and some roasted malt, and you have yourself a deliciously malty beer.

What is your favorite hop? Why?
Citra. I love the flavor of citrus, grapefruit bitterness in my beer. I decide to make an IPA? You can bet I'm going to be using Citra hops (if I can find it).

Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast?
I don't really have a favorite. There are so many different strains out there. If I'm brewing a Belgian, I want the phenols from a Belgian yeast. I'm brewing a Pale Ale? I'll need a clean yeast strain that flocculates well...

Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?
I made a funny label for a beer I made for my best friend's wedding. I can't find it. Damn..

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?
Alone.

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer?
Indoor

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?
"The Sloth" - Belgian Style Dark Ale
"Fire on the Mountain" - Smoked Red Ale
"Kevin's Groom Brew" - SUPER hoppy IIPA
"Hoppopotamus" - Dogfish Head 90 Minute clone
"Drunk Lepraucan" - Imperial Irish Coffee Stout

I think "Fire on the Mountain" is my favorite name but the best tasting beer is "The Sloth"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:59:15 AM by topher.bartos »
In the works: Belgian Dark ("The Sloth"), Nugget Nectar Clone, Experimental IPA for NHC

Primary #1: Alchemy Hour Double IPA Clone

Primary #2: Mosaic IPA SMASH

Bottles: Summer Ale

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio (Chris Bartos)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
Welcome Chris! RDWHAHB!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Online hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio (Chris Bartos)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »
Welcome. You will have fun here. You can learn a lot - I have. Great forum.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!