Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Good Resources for Exploring Going Pro.  (Read 14095 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Good Resources for Exploring Going Pro.
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:26:13 am »
Here's a thread that's dedicated to nothing but the things you've found useful in your explorations of going pro.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Good Resources for Exploring Going Pro.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16:41 am »
http://www.soundbrew.com/small.html
THE MINI-MICRO-, PICO- AND NANO- BREWING SYSTEMS PAGE
They have a good writeup on the business impact of Brewery size.  If you are going Pro, you need to be able to address the points they make.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:41:01 pm »
Here's a group of some well versed brewers talking about the nitty gritty of pro brewing.

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=29
Ron Price

Offline klemcke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:24 pm »
If homebrewers ever have any questions about study or preparation for entry into brewing, please don't hesitate to drop me a line. We are always here to help get people pointed in the right direction.

Keith Lemcke
Vice-President
Siebel Institute of Technology

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:41:08 am »
Check out the Hess brewing oddesy blog. just google that and you will get a hit. It's a nano down in san diego and they do a really good job of documenting everything they went through to get up and running.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:37 am »
Start with www.sba.gov (guides and tutorials about how to start and run a business), and then go to www.score.org when you have questions (free business mentoring).
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:40 pm »
That SBA page would be a good study for anyone interested in knowing more about biz. Would be handy knowledge when the boss is looking for management help.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline CroceBrewing

• Cellarman
  • So many craft beers to try, so little time
    • For the Love of Brew
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:13:41 am »
http://www.soundbrew.com/small.html
THE MINI-MICRO-, PICO- AND NANO- BREWING SYSTEMS PAGE
They have a good writeup on the business impact of Brewery size.  If you are going Pro, you need to be able to address the points they make.

Really good stuff here, but I guess I'd beg to differ about their contention that you're doomed if your brew system is less than 10BBL. Been to a lot of nanos lately, who have systems as small as 2BBLs, and while I'm sure they're not getting rich, they are growing. There are two I know of that started with small systems, and are now expanding to larger brew houses after making small profits for three years on their 3BBL systems. I would think that investing small to start makes it a less risky proposition too, just as long as you have a strategic plan for growth.

All that being said, saying that starting with a larger system (e.g., 15BBL) I feel is good advice when you consider that brewing is totally scalable (i.e., it takes the same labor to brew 15 barrels as it does 2 barrels). I know, sounds like I'm arguing both sides. But my main point was to say how there are definitely 2BBL operations out there who are managing to succeed and grow without forcing their owners to slave in front of their kettles 19 hours a day/7 days a week.
"You've never really had a beer until you've had your first homebrew."

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 11:50:03 am »
What you brew, where, and for who... all play into it I think. Are you are brewing pale ale or light lager, competing with BMC to a blue collar crowd, selling for $7 a six pack... or barrel aged gold medal farmhouse beers for $20 a magnum for tourists?

Offline therealdjbiglex

• 1st Kit
    • Lex World Online
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 07:52:04 pm »
I would like to start a micro or nano brew business in my small town. I'm not looking into starting big as I only will be producing in kegs for local bars, resturants, pubs and clubs. So my question is can i self distribute or do i need a distributor in order to sell? Also would this be a good way to start? Thanks

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Good Resources for Exploring Going Pro.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 08:30:31 pm »
I would like to start a micro or nano brew business in my small town. I'm not looking into starting big as I only will be producing in kegs for local bars, resturants, pubs and clubs. So my question is can i self distribute or do i need a distributor in order to sell? Also would this be a good way to start? Thanks
With small volumes you have to have premium product.

Your state regulate if you can self distribute or if you have to go thru distributor.

if you want to make it on small system you need to go direct to consumer.

Draught is the least profitable proposition in my opinion.

Last thing is it depends where you live.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:32:29 pm by Thirsty_Monk »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 10:10:46 am »

Leos (Thirsty Monk) makes some very good points. 

Although, you have pretty much described our brewery.  But from the start, my wife and I chose to do this as a hobby.  Both of us are employed in other industries with fairly secure paychecks.  But, we love to brew.  And being able to sell our beer makes it quite a bit easier to brew 1-2bbls a week.  In my state I can self-distribute.  Plus, we got an outbuilding on our residential property licensed by state and feds.  If we had to lease space, we couldn't do this.  If we had to use a distributor, we couldn't do this. 

But we are doing it.  And it's a boatload of fun.  (although last night cleaning kegs wasn't "superfun" LOL)

Offline brewuni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 05:15:01 pm »
Micsager - that is awesome! How fun for you and your wife, I'm glad that it is working in your favor. What state is that if you don't mind me asking?

I have popped into this forum today to see what conversations are going on and if I can help/contribute at all. I wanted to let you know we offer a brewing startup course here at OSU:

https://pace.oregonstate.edu/catalog/craft-brewery-startup-workshop

Of course I'm posting a link to our program, but as with another post I submitted to a different conversation, I'm hoping it can be read as helpful/informational than strictly promotional. And if can help someone make more informed decisions then we all win. Cheers!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 09:55:22 am »
We're just up in Washington.  Port Angeles to be specific.  If you ever venture a little north, come by and say hello. 

Offline brewuni

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 11:59:49 am »
Fantastic! I'm originally from Tacoma and have been wanting to see PA for a long time. Will let you know if we are ever in the area to see what you guys have going!