Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fix my Bohemian Pilsner  (Read 6956 times)

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
Re: fix my Bohemian Pilsner
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 07:27:18 am »
I chased this style for a while and finally got to what I thought was an outstanding example.

I used the Weyermann floor malted pils and around 6% carapils. Blend of my soft water and distilled water with small acid addition to adjust  Double decocted (modified Hotchkurz) sp mashed in at 142, decocted and rise to158, decocted for mash out. 120 min boil with salt additions for around 50 ppm Ca, 50 ppm SO4, and single digits of everything else. I know that doesn't sound like what would work, but that was the advise I took and it was spot on. Three equal Saaz hop additions at first wort/80 min/30 min. About 40 ibu. Chilled to 39 degrees, pitched a large starter of WLP800, let rise to 45 degrees and ferment out. Fined and transferred to serving kegs. Good at 4 weeks, but exceptional at 8 weeks. The aging was critical to the flavor of this beer. I really believe that age is the trick to the phantom flavor so many are chasing in this style of beer.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 11:39:26 am »
Since this beer is not decocted, it may be unwise to drop all the way down to a very low Pilsen mineral content in the brewing water.  But, I would consider dropping the Ca and Mg content.  For Ca, try reducing the concentration to about 40 ppm.  That is about the barest minimum that the fermentation can handle.  For Mg, try deleting it all together.  I suggest that 5 ppm is a good goal, but in a Boh Pils there isn't much to hide behind and the hint of astringency that Mg might produce may be a difference.  The malt bill will still provide some Mg to the wort, so its not like there won't be any in there.

The sulfate level is too high for a Boh Pils.  I suggest that mineral additions focus on obtaining the Ca from CaCl addition with a possible slight addition of gypsum to taste. Try it without the gypsum first.  Pils is about the only style that AJ Delange brews and he is adamant that you must have low sulfates when using Noble hops.  I take him at his word on this one.

The amount of water boil off is pretty high in your system compared to my typical results.  You may be over caramelizing the wort by the excessive boiling intensity.  You want to have a gentle boil that is moving the water surface modestly and you can see that hops and trub are actually moving from the boil action.  You don't need to have a boil 'volcano' in your pot.  I agree that when using Pils malt, driving off SMM from the wort is important.  But, I think you over did it here.   

Enjoy

I know this is an old topic hope you can just clarify why is it unwise low that low to Pilsen mineral content if it's not decocted?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 12:10:55 pm »
Decoction, that is boiling, physically breaks down starches and proteins.  You are relying entirely on the enzymes in the malt to do the job, and they need the effects of minerals, especially calcium,  to protect them and ensure  that they function properly.  That would be the main difference as I see it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:27:12 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.