Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Steel Cut Oats  (Read 3442 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Steel Cut Oats
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:56:51 am »
Man, they got  my vote over flaked for oatmeal ingredient hands down!
That little "pop"  in the texture is wonderful. Well worth the extra work
and planning and cooking time IMHO. 
My method involves a crock pot and plastic liner bag about 5 cups water
to one cup of steel cut oats a little pinch o salt ...low temp setting and at least 6 hrs.
Cook a batch and put em in da fridge and they last a good amount of time, re-heat and eat.8)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Steel Cut Oats
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:32:37 am »
Steel cut oats are 'da bomb'.   ;D
 I like rolled oats too, but for me they have to be thick rolled oats because I like foods with texture. 
And steel cut oats (known in some parts of the US as "pinhead' oats)  certainly deliver  a great texture. 
My favorite way to have them is cooked with a touch of honey and some dried bing or ranier cherries.

They are also the key ingredient in "goetta", an peculiarly  regional variant on 'scrapple'  It is said to have been invented years ago by the plentiful German population of the area, although no one has ever really been able to pin it down to any specific 'old country'  German tradition.

I discovered the stuff on my first annual convention trip to Cincinnatti more than 34 years ago.   Basically goetta is mainly steel cut oats cooked with seasonings and some chopped or ground pork (a shortcut way is to make it with bulk breakfast sausage); the resultant cooked mush is put into a loaf pan and allowed to cool.  When cold, it is cut into slices and browned to crispness in a pan with the animal fat of your choice (bacon fat is common and traditional;  duck or goose fat takes to into another realm of decadence).

Not an everyday food (though to some Cincinnatians it apparently is) but either way, it's insanely great with a couple of eggs on the side for breakfast.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline BarleynYeast

• Cellarman
  • Las Vegas, NV
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42:45 am »
I started cooking Steel Cut Oats after seeing Alton Brown use them on his show. This is a great recipe! (For those that have seen Alton's show on homebrew, he is much better at making Oatmeal that Beer! ;D) Here is his recipe

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:49:58 am »
Steel cut oats are 'da bomb'.   ;D
 I like rolled oats too, but for me they have to be thick rolled oats because I like foods with texture.  
And steel cut oats (known in some parts of the US as "pinhead' oats)  certainly deliver  a great texture.  
My favorite way to have them is cooked with a touch of honey and some dried bing or ranier cherries.

They are also the key ingredient in "goetta", an peculiarly  regional variant on 'scrapple'  It is said to have been invented years ago by the plentiful German population of the area, although no one has ever really been able to pin it down to any specific 'old country'  German tradition.

I discovered the stuff on my first annual convention trip to Cincinnatti more than 34 years ago.   Basically goetta is mainly steel cut oats cooked with seasonings and some chopped or ground pork (a shortcut way is to make it with bulk breakfast sausage); the resultant cooked mush is put into a loaf pan and allowed to cool.  When cold, it is cut into slices and browned to crispness in a pan with the animal fat of your choice (bacon fat is common and traditional;  duck or goose fat takes to into another realm of decadence).

Not an everyday food (though to some Cincinnatians it apparently is) but either way, it's insanely great with a couple of eggs on the side for breakfast.

There ya go, I have been switched over to oatmeal for breakfast to reduce cholesterol
in the ole blood stream…..Prof, you have managed to seriously rock that boat!

I like them with a bit of honey stirred in and then I slurry them with Almond Milk
re-heat, stir and dig in yummo!

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »
There ya go, I have been switched over to oatmeal for breakfast to reduce cholesterol
in the ole blood stream…..Prof, you have managed to seriously rock that boat!

You would have a much better shot at reducing your cholesterol by eating bacon and eggs every morning - vs having oatmeal, or cheerios, or toast. It works. Carbs cause cholesterol - via insulin. Hard to believe but true, they lied to us with the food pyramid.

But the Alton Brown overnight oatmeal is DA BomB! It should be an occasional treat when you're not eating protein for breakfast.

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:24:26 pm »

I am so confused....ask a hundred people....get a hundred different answers....
Not just this, issue but a hundred other ones....
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:55:16 pm by 1vertical »

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:49:14 am »
I think you should eat whatever makes you feel great a few hours later. In my case that's definitely steel cut oats.

I had breakfast at a Starbucks in London this weekend (I know, I know... but the day before at the GBBF we had too much of everything) and they had this thing that was the most amazing use of steel cut oats I've ever seen - oats, mixed with yogurt, julienned apple and dried fruit. Freaking perfect. It's my new breakfast.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:10:18 pm »
I like to add some raw steel cut oats into mashed potato, adds a wonder texture and nutty flavor.