Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Was ist für Abendessen? German Recipes...  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Was ist für Abendessen? German Recipes...
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:29:18 am »
Was ist für Abendessen?   :D

Does anyone have a great schweinshaxe recipe?  I'd really like to make this sometime soon, especially as Oktoberfest approaches.

I'm also interested in your favorite schnitzel, red cabbage, spätzle, and sauerkraut salad recipes.

Edit: I know this could have probably gone in the ethnic food thread, but German food may merit its own thread. ;D
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Was ist für Abendessen? German Recipes...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:16:39 pm »
We make the Slovakian version all of the time. Which I think is relatively the same. I cure and cold smoke the knuckle and then it is cooked with sauerkraut, chopped browned onions, caraway seeds, bay leaf and marjoram.

The German version may often be just roasted in the oven. I have hear of them torching the skin with a plumbing torch to crisp the skin and make it blister.

Its good served with German potato dumplings. You can make them easy by mixing eggs, butter, chopped bread (stale is fine), mashed potatoes or instant mashed potatoes work great, salt pepper and baking powder.

Ive been using instant mashed potaoes a lot. Not for making mashed potatoes but for dumplings, breading fish or cutlets.

Instant mashed potatoes make much better langosh then real potatoes. No BS. I love langosh.

You could just hot smoke the knuckle a little, that would work great, then braise it with some kraut.

In the early fall start looking for late season cabbage and make some kraut. You already have been doing the kraut right?

You gonna do an Oktoberfest thing there Matt?

Ich liebe deutsche und mitteleuropäische Küche. Seine bleib bei deinen Rippen Zeug.
Da sie in Deutsch sagen ... essen meine Hoden.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:21:14 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »
Good to see you again Cap!

Every blasted year...it gets to August and I'm thinking...man, an Oktoberfest beer would be delightful this year!

And every year...I've waited until its too late to think about it!

My german food generally stays restrained to various schnitzel, mostly of the jaeger variety.  You just can't get good wurst here anyway.

Edit: Anyone have a good recipe for currywurst "curry ketchup"?  I haven't bought "curry powder" in years but it seems this might be an appropriate use of it anyway (you are going more for German authenticity than Indian authenticity).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:37:47 pm by nicneufeld »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:35:23 pm »
The fall season is rapidly approaching and as Cap has reminded me, the fall harvest is coming. Oktoberfest is my favorite time of year with the harvest and the wonderful weather not to mention Marzen. I like to stock up on sweet corn, cabbage (sauerkraut), roasted peppers, and all of the harvest surprises. Schweinshaxe stewed with okra, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and mustard greens is fabulous. One of my favorites.
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »
In the early fall start looking for late season cabbage and make some kraut. You already have been doing the kraut right?

You gonna do an Oktoberfest thing there Matt?

Ich liebe deutsche und mitteleuropäische Küche. Seine bleib bei deinen Rippen Zeug.

Haha, nice.  I was in Munich with my brother in 2001.  As we were walking through the city, I had the completely immature urge (I was 22 at the time) to squirt his crotch with some of my bottled water.  I then proceeded to tell just about any passerby a German phrase I had pieced together using my trusty travel dictionary: Mein Bruder seine Hose gepisst!

I actually haven't made kraut; I don't know if my wife would let that fly given the odor.

I need to find a butcher that sells pork hock.  I discovered this past weekend that pork hock can be difficult to come by in the chain grocery stores (Whole Foods, Byerlys, etc.).  I think I'll probably roast it for a while and then finish it on the grill to crisp up the skin.

We'll be hosting our second Oktoberfest party, which I have eponymously dubbed "Schwandtoberfest".  I've even designed an official logo/flag.  I'll have my Oktoberfest on draft in the backyard from the portable kegerator.  Also on draft from the indoor kegerator will be a Munich Helles, an American amber and a nitro-dispensed brown porter.  Going to make pretzels (I just ordered the lye yesterday) and brats too!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:34:16 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:57:08 pm »
Edit: Anyone have a good recipe for currywurst "curry ketchup"?  I haven't bought "curry powder" in years but it seems this might be an appropriate use of it anyway (you are going more for German authenticity than Indian authenticity).

I've added homemade garam malasa to taste to regular ketchup with good results.  I love curry ketchup with fries; it might also be good on a brat.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:15:02 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:16 pm »
The fall season is rapidly approaching and as Cap has reminded me, the fall harvest is coming. Oktoberfest is my favorite time of year with the harvest and the wonderful weather not to mention Marzen. I like to stock up on sweet corn, cabbage (sauerkraut), roasted peppers, and all of the harvest surprises. Schweinshaxe stewed with okra, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and mustard greens is fabulous. One of my favorites.

Definitely my favorite time of year too.  I love the cooler weather, the changing colors outside, the return of comfort food, and, of course, Oktoberfest!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »

Hmm, I was going to comment on that dish, but now I'm not sure what to say.  They really say that? :)

separate subject  assuming the above is tongue in cheek not something else in your cheek

Let me know when you’re ready to move out here to the desert and open a brewpub.  I would love to brew beers to match all the dishes you've brought up.  Perhaps a small pub with a movie screen?

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 11:38:00 am »
I'll be making pork Jaegerschnitzel, Spaetzle and Red Cabbage on 9/17, the same day I plan to tap the keg of Oktoberfest I brewed back in May. 

I haven't settled on a recipe yet - but I often cook German food w/o one.  I'll pound & bread the schnitzel & serve it w/ a nice brown gravy w/ sauteed shallots & mushrooms.  Spaetzle is simple/basic (I add a LOT of Emmenthaller cheese) and my wife usually makes the cabbage. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:33:30 pm »
I guess I sort of un-Germaned it, but I made a great weider schnitzle the other night, and topped it off with mushroom bourbon cream sauce. Was my first time with that. Tell you what, I could have eaten that straight. It was great! I went a little heavy on the white wine, but dude, was it good.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:35:11 am »
A mushroom cream sauce isn't unGerman (jaegerschnitzel), although the bourbon was an untraditional additive...I will say this, there's a German fellow on the BBQ boards who is a brilliant (I think semi-professional) BBQ cook, who I think does some official stuff for both Big Green Egg and maybe Jack Daniels, and even though he's in Germany no small amount of bourbon or Tennessee whiskey ends up in his cooking (or served with).