Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer in Europe...  (Read 4284 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Beer in Europe...
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:34 pm »
Awesome.  I should try harder to embrace my Czech heritage by brewing some bohemian pilsners and whatnot.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 09:05:45 pm »
a 90 min boil at 600 Degrees. They say the high heat causes a carmalization ( most likely spelled wrong) in the bottom of the kettle that accounts for the color and the taste of the malt.
Is it a steam fired kettle?  They're not getting the wort up to 600F obviously, do you know how they were measuring the temperature?

I didn't know they used 6-row either, thanks for that tidbit. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:36 am »
Is it a steam fired kettle?  They're not getting the wort up to 600F obviously, do you know how they were measuring the temperature?

No it is a Gas fired kettle. Most likely they are talking about the bottom of it and would not say how they were taking the temp. or go into much detail about the process. When the questions got to deep the guide sort of changed the subject or could not comment at all and smiled.  ::) What I could get out of her was its a gas fired kettle at 600 degrees, a single malt is used and they still use a 3 step decoction that takes 3 hours to finish and it goes through a 90 min boil with just 3 hop additions but I could not get the times or amounts of hops..  :-\
As far as water is concern. Pilsner style beer is brewed all over Czech and Slovak Republic. It might be tru that Plzen has a soft water but other cities might not. Because Czech and Slovak repoblic are on continental divide water is from soft to moderate in hardness. What I am trying to say is do not loose sleep over the water and do not go crazy with destilled / RO water. After all you are making "Bohemian" beer.
I have to agree with this. I would not fuss to much over the water and worry more about the malts and hops used. My self I think I'm going to have to back down a bit on the Sazz next time around as it's a little over powering in my last batch. I normaly use 4 oz of hops but I think I'll back the flavor and aroma down by half and see what comes up. A decoction mash may be a good idea as well. The 90 min. boil has worked nicely to pull out the malt but I think adding a decoction mash will help improve the malt taste and bring out a deeper color. Well hope everyone liked the pics and info as for me I had a blast. On and no pics were to be taken so I had to do a little stelth work to get them. LOL... Darn Americans....   ::)
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 07:03:34 am »
So Moravian malt is 6-row? 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 08:05:55 am »
I think it is two row.
I could find out when I am there next time.
They do grow winter variety and spring variety of barley.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:53 am »
I think it is two row.
I think there may have been a couple points lost in translation, this and the boiling temperature.  I suppose 2-row European malt could be one of those things I've always taken for granted.
I found a nice history lesson about Briess when I tried to google Moravian malt:
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/About/History.htm
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 08:46:57 am »
I think it is two row.
I think there may have been a couple points lost in translation, this and the boiling temperature.  I suppose 2-row European malt could be one of those things I've always taken for granted.
I found a nice history lesson about Briess when I tried to google Moravian malt:
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/About/History.htm
I had never heard that, so had to ask.
Some Google turned this up.  Weyermann's Bohemian Pils are the Hanka variety, which comes from-
"Most of our base malts are made from derivatives of the "Hanna" strain of two row barley from Germany and the Czech Republic." 
Source = Heater Allen Brewery in McMinnville OR.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 09:46:40 am »
Hanka variety is Moravian barley.
Name is derived from Hana - Bohemian region where this barley is grown. It is around Olomouc.
Weyernmann buys Hanka and then malt it in Banberg.
To my opinion this malt is as close to bohemian malt you could get here in US but is is still too clean for real bohemian malt.
Bohemian malt is more chewy and more sweet then weyermann's Bohemian Pilsner malt.
I did not have chance to use Weyernmann floor malted Bohemian Pilsner malt.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com