Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing small joys  (Read 12815 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Sharing small joys
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 01:16:53 am »
Go to original sources.  "In their own words." 

Not someone else (Wikipedia) telling you what to think.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 01:27:17 am »
The fight over both Welsh v. BSA and Randall v. OC Council would seem to be pretty clear. Add the fact that the BSA expelled the Randall's once the CA Supreme Court lifted the injunction despite the boys achieving Eagle during the intervening period and it seems pretty clear what the position of the BSA governing bodies is on non-theists.

Scouting does have a lot to offer, which is why it's disappointing, but meh.. straying again.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 01:48:32 am »
I agree, this is way off the OP, sorry.  We can start a new thread to discuss it if you think we should.

Scouting endorses no religion over another.
This is my understanding, except that while scouting doesn't endorse one religion over another, you need to have some religion.  "Not religious" is not an option.

Aside from the cases Drew mentioned, it is hard to misinterpret.

A - One requirement to join scouting is to "Understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath or Promise, Law, motto, and slogan, and the Outdoor Code."

B - The oath includes "To do my duty to God"

C - The scout law includes "A Scout is . . . reverent."

D - The scouts explain reverent as "A Scout is reverent, he is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties and respects the convictions of others in matters of custom and religion."

Based on that, I don't see any room for the non-religious.  You can't do your duty to or be reverent toward something you don't believe in.

If this is not the right original source you're referring to let me know
http://www.scouting.org/
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:05:52 am »
Don't go getting my thread locked! I started this because there were too many threads getting hijacked and starting arguments. There's enough of that in the regular world these days.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 02:23:35 am »
Don't go getting my thread locked! I started this because there were too many threads getting hijacked and starting arguments. There's enough of that in the regular world these days.
Sorry Phil, I figure this is a fine discussion since we are discussing scouting and not any taboo subjects.  But yes, we veered way off topic, but the whole BSA thing has bugged me since my kids came home all excited from kindergarten after a recruitment meeting a few months back.  Oops, there I go again.  :)

Anyway, small joys:
Teaching my kids how to harvest garlic today.
Reading a book for pleasure now that I have a bit more time.
Playing monkey in the middle. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 03:10:06 am »

You've created a great thread Phil.  There is much to be shared in here that we can all enjoy and agree on.

Drew, Tom & I have taken the Scouting discussion to another place.  In spite of our differeces the discussion remains respectful and civil.  After all, we are friends.  (Even if they are doo doo heads for disagreeing with me.   ;D  )

As I write this my best friend, a six-month-old black cat named Hebert, is curled up on my lap sleeping.  He often does this while I work at my computer.  Six months ago he was just a baby bump.  Now he is my best friend.  Who knew?  How cool is that?  And, I bet you know how to pronounce his name correctly Phil.  

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 03:16:27 am »
And, I bet you know how to pronounce his name correctly Phil. 
Come on Carl, what self-respecting hockey fan doesn't know how to pronouce Hebert? ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 03:21:33 am »
And, I bet you know how to pronounce his name correctly Phil.  
Come on Carl, what self-respecting hockey fan doesn't know how to pronouce Hebert? ;D

Hockey...?  
Isn't that what you do to get rid of phlegm?    :D

And your link only shows how to pronounce Guy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:25:32 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 03:36:04 am »
I was truly curious- being ignorant of the scouts for the most part. Sorry to drag it off the path.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 03:47:28 am »
Hockey...?  
Isn't that what you do to get rid of phlegm?    :D

And your link only shows how to pronounce Guy.
I don't need the link to know how to pronounce Guy Hebert. ;)

<edit>It's got the pronunciation for Hebert right after the "gi", although I was always terrible at reading those pronunciation guides.  They are completely non-helpful to me.  "gi" makes sense - "eˈbɛʁ" would be nonsensical if I didn't already know how to say it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:51:17 am by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 06:22:15 am »
We've have a rather wet summer here, but this weekend was sunny & dry, so we tried to make the most of it as a family.

Friday - picked my daughter up from the final day of Outdoor Survival Camp (where it rained most of the week).  It was my wife's birthday, so I made Beef Wellington at her request (& it turned out awesome).

Satruday - took the family to the Dieppe International Kite Festival (that's Dieppe New Brunswick).  Saw some cool kites, but spent most of our time on the midway.  Took my son on the superslide and my daughter on the ferris wheel (finally, there is someone in this family who's not afraid of heights and will do stuff with Dad!  My son is not yet 3, so I'll give him a pass for now).  Spent the evening with friends we haven't seen in months.

Sunday - took the wife and kids to spend the afternoon with their grandmother/great grandmother for National Acadian Day Edit: just checked that link - modern celebrations are more like this.

PS - Guides & Scouts in Canada have reworked their pledges & mottos to remove the religious references.  Tom, you might be able to find a troup that does the same.  I won't be surprised if my duaghter wants to jump over to Scouts from Guides as they seem to do more hands-on outdoor stuff.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:50:54 am by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 06:31:20 am »
I look back at Scouting fondly.  Very positive life skills I'm sure I'm still using today.  I know I saved at least 3 lives with skills I learned in scouting.  As Bill Murray said, so I've got that going for me.

Eagle Scout, 1976.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 07:29:34 am »
Is there a brewing merit badge? FWIW while I definitely want my kids in scouting, I personally had a great time up until my first scout (as opposed to cub/webelos) state jamboree, where a fellow scout threatened to stab me. I got out pretty quick after that. Apparently, in Florida (or so my dad told me) judges offer juvenile offenders a choice between juvie and scout camp. I am absolutely certain that scouting here (and everywhere else, really) will not be like what my experience was.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 08:17:05 am »
love the boy scouts.  father of two eagle scouts.  last time i was at philmont (been several times) one of the boys i had in the troop was from japan and had moved to illinois.  he was sitting next to a kid from baltimore.  they recognized each other from japan. go figure. great organization. 

Gordon.  being from ohio i assume you got to spend some time at camp avery hand? right down the street from my mother's farm. it has been sold off mostly now.  very sad
Don AHA member

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:11 am »
Can the adult scouts get a brewing merit badge?