Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sharing small joys  (Read 12779 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Sharing small joys
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2011, 11:46:29 am »
I tried to make my own once but it was very runny and from a flavor standpoint, the Hellmann's every bit as good.

keep trying! it can be amazing. just the options of lemon, or cider vinegar or... make it so much fun. It's all in the wrist.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2011, 11:48:22 am »
What's your secret to making it thick? I used a hand mixer.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 11:52:02 am »
i used to make my own egg-yolk sauce like you get on your shrimp at the japanese steak houses.  some egg yolks. little vegetable oil and whisk the crap out of it. mmmmmmmm
Don AHA member

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2011, 11:55:22 am »
My yolks are so orange
folks accuse me of really liking mustard.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2011, 12:01:31 pm »

The first few times I made it I just used a big baloon whisk and it was nice and thick, not as think as hellmans but I think they mess around with it, plus I use olive oil instead of plain canola or what have you. I then tried to use the blender as this is supposed to be quick and easy and it kept breaking on me so I have come to the conclusion that the trick is not using electric mixers, I think they go to fast. a bottle of oil with some sort of flow control so you can get a thin drizzle coming out and a really energetic whisking hand. and a damp towel under the bowl so it doesn' t go flying. Start the emulsion with the egg yolk and whatever acid you are using then slowly (really really slowly at first) start with the oil while whisking.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2011, 12:08:18 pm »

The first few times I made it I just used a big baloon whisk and it was nice and thick, not as think as hellmans but I think they mess around with it, plus I use olive oil instead of plain canola or what have you. I then tried to use the blender as this is supposed to be quick and easy and it kept breaking on me so I have come to the conclusion that the trick is not using electric mixers, I think they go to fast. a bottle of oil with some sort of flow control so you can get a thin drizzle coming out and a really energetic whisking hand. and a damp towel under the bowl so it doesn' t go flying. Start the emulsion with the egg yolk and whatever acid you are using then slowly (really really slowly at first) start with the oil while whisking.

Thanks. I might give olive oil a try next time.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 12:33:45 pm »
I then tried to use the blender as this is supposed to be quick and easy and it kept breaking on me so I have come to the conclusion that the trick is not using electric mixers, I think they go to fast.

I've been told that the problem with using a blender is the heat generated causes the mayo to break.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 12:40:30 pm »
I recently made Salsa Fresca and Salsa Verde. I used fresh garden tomatoes, tomatillos,  peppers and red onions. Fresh Cilantro, and lime juice are the key indredients. Don't forget the salt and pepper. I love this time of year. Fall harvest is well on it's way.  :)
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 01:02:10 pm »
I recently made Salsa Fresca and Salsa Verde. I used fresh garden tomatoes, tomatillos,  peppers and red onions. Fresh Cilantro, and lime juice are the key indredients. Don't forget the salt and pepper. I love this time of year. Fall harvest is well on it's way.  :)
One of my favorite annual sensory experiences has started down here-the roasting of green chiles.  The harvest is starting early this year and the stores have started roasting sacks of  local chiles.  It's such a wonderful smell and it immediately brings back memories of fall in New Mexico,b y far our best season.  We always buy 2 bushels at a farm about 1/2 hour from here-we buy them off the tailgate of the pickup as they harvvest them, then we watch as they're roasted.  3 hours later they're vacuum sealed and in the freezer.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 01:07:35 pm »
I do mayo in the food processor not the blender. Anyway, I usually can't be bothered and Duke's, Hellmann's and Kraft are every bit as good and last in the fridge longer than a week. :)

I make a batch of salsa nearly every day and take it and tortilla chips to work. My colleagues appreciate this though I get comments like "too pica" or "not pica enough" depending on who's doing the tasting.

Corky we should be seeing the Hatch chiles soon eh? Can't wait and I'm buying a metric-buttload when they start Hatch chile week. MY jalapeños are disappointingly mild this year and I want to freeze up a bunch of good hot peppers.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2011, 01:17:01 pm »
...only some of us don't have the time to bask in 80 degree breezy sunshine and drink coconut milk all day...

Fermented coconut milk... hic    ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 02:23:46 pm »
I do mayo in the food processor not the blender. Anyway, I usually can't be bothered and Duke's, Hellmann's and Kraft are every bit as good and last in the fridge longer than a week. :)

I make a batch of salsa nearly every day and take it and tortilla chips to work. My colleagues appreciate this though I get comments like "too pica" or "not pica enough" depending on who's doing the tasting.

Corky we should be seeing the Hatch chiles soon eh? Can't wait and I'm buying a metric-buttload when they start Hatch chile week. MY jalapeños are disappointingly mild this year and I want to freeze up a bunch of good hot peppers.
We've got Hatch chiles already, I always buy chile from Haldeman Farms in Artesia, NM.  They may not be better than Hatch, but they are just as good and are fresher.  Their Barkers will set you on fire, some years even their Big Jims and poblanos are very hot.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2011, 06:49:50 pm »
Careful of all olive oil in mayo.  It can have a strong taste.  Olive oil flavor varies, so it depends on what you use.  I normally use a blend of olive and canola, but I also use some white wine vinegar and dijon mustard.  It was a recipe from a Belgian cookbook.  Seems like it was pretty simple ratio-wise: 1 egg yolk, 1 Tbsp dijon, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, salt, white pepper, 1 cup oil.  I make it with a whisk, but I also have used a blender.  Whisk all the stuff except the oil until thoroughly mixed, add the oil drop by drop to get the emulsion started, and then a slow stream after a bit.  Taste and adjust seasoning at end -- very important, use your palate.  Egg yolks can vary, so they can handle variable amounts of oil.  You can also use lemon juice instead of white wine vinegar.  I've made this recipe dozens of times, sometimes adding some Penzey's sweet curry powder, especially when having them with Belgian frites.

I'll use Hellman's if I don't make my own.  Mostly I don't make my own if I don't know it's going to get all used.  When your minimum quantity is set by one egg yolk, you do wind up with over a cup of mayo from each batch.  Kind of a lot if all you are making is a sandwich.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »
To me, there is nothing quite like finding the fabulous piece of nephrite laying there on the sod of the prairie.
Or the flush of fresh chanterelle mushrooms blazing orange against the earthen mat of the forest floor.  ::)

Altho a close second would be opening the package from Philamb containing the black perigord truffels he dug
from beneath his hazelnut tree and express mailed to me in BFEWhyo... ;)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2011, 02:12:00 am »
To me, there is nothing quite like finding the fabulous piece of nephrite laying there on the sod of the prairie.
Or the flush of fresh chanterelle mushrooms blazing orange against the earthen mat of the forest floor.  ::)

Altho a close second would be opening the package from Philamb containing the black perigord truffels he dug
from beneath his hazelnut tree and express mailed to me in BFEWhyo... ;)

even if I could send you truffles (which I don't think I can, import regulations being what they are) I 1. wouldn't trust the workers at USPS to not destroy or steal the thing and 2. wouldn't send you one anyway because they cost 10 euros per gram. I am, however, happy for you to come over here and visit and I will cook for you something with truffles in it.  ;D
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!