Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: St. Augustine - stay?drink?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline 4jhds

• 1st Kit
St. Augustine - stay?drink?
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:13:42 am »
 Long time brewer/sudzz drinker.Am looking for recommendations for pubs in the St. Augustine, Fl. area.  I am aware of the AiA alehouse owned by Gordon Biersch. Are there other brewpubs in the area of merit??

Also, I would like to hear of recommendations for lodging for a week in February for a husband/wife that would be clean and not break the bank. Already have flight tickets so time is of the essence to secure a place to stay.
Thanks for any and all help

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: St. Augustine - stay?drink?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:40:31 am »
Long time brewer/sudzz drinker.Am looking for recommendations for pubs in the St. Augustine, Fl. area.  I am aware of the AiA alehouse owned by Gordon Biersch. Are there other brewpubs in the area of merit??

Also, I would like to hear of recommendations for lodging for a week in February for a husband/wife that would be clean and not break the bank. Already have flight tickets so time is of the essence to secure a place to stay.
Thanks for any and all help

We have stayed at the St. Francis B & B.  It's right downtown so everything is walkable, plus it is haunted, always a plus. 
There's a good beer bar called Rendesvous in the shopping area.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:12 pm »
+1 on the St. Francis Inn.  My wife and I have stayed there more times than I can count.  It is one of the things we miss most about Florida.  It is definetly within staggering distance of the A1A Ale Works.  Attend the St. Francis Inn free happy hour, and then head out for a night on the town.  We've made some good friends at that happy hour. 

Miss Lily's Room IS haunted.

Be sure to stop by the San Sebastian Winery.  Their port is delicious!  Perfect for sipping while sitting on the balcony at the St. Francis.  We love St. Augustine.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:31:08 am »
Went there as a kid during a school field trip back in the day. What I remember most was seeing an electric chair on the tour and getting yelled at for eating jelly belly popcorn-flavored jelly beans during the tour, lol.

No advice for ya, though.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:26:25 am »
I live in Gainesville, just over an hour away from St. A, so just go over for day trips or to stay at a friend's condo - so no b&b recommendations. A1A is the only brew-pub in St. A, but JP Henley's is probably the best beer bar there. It's on the same block as A1A. I read a month or so ago that a new brewery was opening there, with a tasting room - but don't remember their name. Ask around about the new brewery, shouldn't be hard to find.

If you've got a car, it's less than an hour to Jacksonville, or Jax beach with several options - Seven Bridges, Bold City, Intuition, etc. Number of good beer bars, Kickbacks Gastropub has good food, lots of taps. Or a bit more than an hour to Gainesville. Swamp Head is a micro with a tasting room(check the web for their hours) or they'll be on tap in St Aug or Jax, I'm sure.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:09:34 am »
I don't recall a robust beer list, but if you want to drive into Jacksonville we love to visit Clark's Fish Camp.

Last time I was there they had kangaroo wellingtons.  But they were out of rattlesnake.  The food is delicious and the ambiance is definitely swampy.

Love St. Augustine.  We were planning a trip last year, but #3 came along and plans changed.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 4jhds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:58:36 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions! Is anyone familiar with the pubcrawl offered in St. Augustine? Apparently takes you to 4 different pubs and provides interesting factoids regarding the establishments, etc. (Just not sure if it is a lame tour or not, and wouldn't want to spend my time quaffing MGD or Bud, etc., with a group of touristas who bit on the same promotion)