Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My new HERMS rig  (Read 8297 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
My new HERMS rig
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:04:27 pm »
After 6 years of extract I decided to switch to all-grain, and figured it was time to go big or go home.  So after lots of research, and 3 months of fabrication in the evenings and weekends, its finally done, and I brewed by first batch on it today (a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone).  First day's efficiency wasn't great, 63%, but its all improvement from here I hope.

About the system; 3 converted Sanke kegs, 2 banjo burners, 1 March pump, 10 ball valves, 25' x 1/2" HERMS coil, hard plumed with 1/2" OD stainless lines.  The frame is 1-1/2" square x 1/8" steel tube, powder coated with 1000F smoker paint (and it still blistered by the burner!).

I'll post more pics once I remember how to make an image folder public in Google Docs.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: My new HERMS rig
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:06:49 pm »
That's a nice setup.  Very streamlined look to it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Online jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:16:04 pm »
Very pretty.
How do you remove the stainless tubes from the kegs for clean up and grain disposal?  From a distance it looks like they are permanently attached.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:17:36 pm »
very impressive! ;)
Dan Chisholm

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »
Congrats!

I see beer in your future.  :)
Ron Price

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:14:01 am »
Very pretty.
How do you remove the stainless tubes from the kegs for clean up and grain disposal?  From a distance it looks like they are permanently attached.

It is hard plumbed.  I use a shop vac to empty the mash tun (takes about 30 seconds to suck out the grain!).  I cycle PBW through the system when I'm done and clean in place.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:01 am »
More photos

I chose to go hard plumbing for a clean look.  Its all 1/2" stainless tubing.

Here's the pump output, where I can select the HERMS coil or to bypass it.  The tube running up the centre connects to the HLT and BK fill valves that are on the kegs themselves

The inlet to the BK hooks to the left so it whirlpools automatically as it fills / recirculates

Inside the BK with false bottom / screen, and whirlpool inlet.  You also see the pickup arm and brewmometer sticking in.

The inlet to the MLT has a brewmometer fed coaxially down the middle of the fitting so I can observe what the temp of the liquor coming from the HERMS coil is.

I chose the smaller banjo burners, then changed the orifices to #58 and went high pressure on them.  The ball valves on the frame use the horizontal member as the propane manifold.  I added heatshields and a burner arm to the central position just in case I ever wanted to add a direct fire option to the mash tun

The entire photo collection is here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150249915705081.360915.285119700080&l=6dce79903e&type=1
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:49:22 am by rjharper »

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »
Very pretty.

It is hard plumbed.  I use a shop vac to empty the mash tun (takes about 30 seconds to suck out the grain!).  I cycle PBW through the system when I'm done and clean in place.

rjharper - I'm considering shop vac-ing my mash tun in my new brewery - but I am curious how do you keep the shop vac clean?  do you suck up warm water after the mash?  do you put a bag in the canister to capture the spent grain and then just dispose of the bag?

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:50:17 am »

rjharper - I'm considering shop vac-ing my mash tun in my new brewery - but I am curious how do you keep the shop vac clean?  do you suck up warm water after the mash?  do you put a bag in the canister to capture the spent grain and then just dispose of the bag?

I dont use any bag, I remove the dust filter, and set it up for wet operation (usually have to flip the diverter from the hose) then I just suck away. Once I've emptied the tun, I usually add an inch or two of hot water, wipe everything down, then suck all that up too.  After that the hose is clean, and I can just pour out the shop vac onto the compost heap, then hose it out clean.

After all that, its CIP with a little PBW.