Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Marshalltown 742G Bucket Water Heater  (Read 4678 times)

Offline jdvisger123

• 1st Kit
Marshalltown 742G Bucket Water Heater
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »
I apologize if this has been discussed but looking to save money on propane. I do have a Blichmann burner but tend to go through a lot of propane @ $20 a tank. Was wondering if anyone had tried one of these and the results. Amazon comment said it helped the stove when it was too cold outside to brew...
Enjoy it, you made it!!!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Marshalltown 742G Bucket Water Heater
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:29 pm »
I have one that I use with a heavy duty timer (like is used for outdoor Christmas lights) on a ground fault circuit.  If you set it for about 5 hours of on time before you brew, it will have your stike water at the 160-170F range.  You can quickly adjust and mash in first thing in the morning.

It goes into the HLT to heat the sparge water once it is done with the mash.  Fire is used to get the sparge water to the final temp.  Saves propane for sure.

Edit - 10 gallon batches for my example.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:27:44 am »
I have one that I use with a heavy duty timer (like is used for outdoor Christmas lights) on a ground fault circuit.  If you set it for about 5 hours of on time before you brew, it will have your stike water at the 160-170F range.  You can quickly adjust and mash in first thing in the morning.

It goes into the HLT to heat the sparge water once it is done with the mash.  Fire is used to get the sparge water to the final temp.  Saves propane for sure.

I do the same thing, basically. I put all my water for the mash and sparge in my HLT the night before (mostly 5-gallon batches), set it to come on about 5-6 hours before I wake up, and as soon as I take my first sip of coffee, I'm doughing in. For me, it was more about the time savings, but it definitely saves lots of propane too.
Mark Gres

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:14:26 am »

I do the same thing, basically. I put all my water for the mash and sparge in my HLT the night before (mostly 5-gallon batches), set it to come on about 5-6 hours before I wake up, and as soon as I take my first sip of coffee, I'm doughing in. For me, it was more about the time savings, but it definitely saves lots of propane too.

Mainly did it for the time savings.  Propane savings is a bonus.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:08:56 am »
+1, except I use a thermostat.  Fillerup the night before and she's all hot and ready to go in the morning.
Brew on