Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Staggered Nutrient Addition Rates  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Staggered Nutrient Addition Rates
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
In the BJCP Mead Study Guide, the basic recipe formulation includes staggered nutrient additions (which I've done before). Are the rates the guide uses scalable to different batch sizes?  Or are the suggested rates for Fermaid-K and DAP not linear?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Staggered Nutrient Addition Rates
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:35:33 am »
These rates are linear, especially at homebrew scale. Some nutrients, like Lallemand GoFerm, can be dosed by volume and yeast cell concentration, but that would be far more important in very large batches.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:23:36 am »
Why would the study guide give instructions for staggered nutrient additions?There are many ways to make mead, some easier and produce excellant results. Where I can see value in teaching a judge to recognize the off flavors from stressed yeast, I don't think a judge should be required to know a certain technique for production of the mead. This is coming from a successful mead maker who wonders why people go thru so much trouble making something so simple.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:38:58 pm »
Check out Ken Schramm's article from the Nov-Dec 2005 issue of Zymurgy

Optimizing Honey Fermentation
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
What I think is interesting is if you compare Ken Schramm's article to the BJCP mead guidelines.

Both seem to agree that you need ~350ppm YAN in your must; however, Ken's article seems to advocate for putting in 350ppm YAN up front, "Addition of 3 grams (approximately 0.75 teaspoon) Fermaid K, plus 4 grams (1 teaspoon) DAP per 5 gallons of must with  vigorous aeration at the end of the lag phase" (Shramm 24) and then supplementing that initial dose with smaller 1g/ea. FermaidK and DAP additions + stirring over 5 days - every 12 hours.

Whereas, the BJCP mead study guide seems to advocate the addition of 350ppm FAN over the course of the entire fermentation, "1 gram diammonium phosphate (DAP) and 0.5 gram Fermaid-K (Lallemand’s micronutrient blend) at pitch and at 24-hour intervals for three days" (BJCP 85)

There are, of course, some different ideas as well. I've tried it both ways (as well as the Kris England presentation method of 4.5g fermaid-k and 2g DAP every other day for a week) - all are great methods it seems. I think as long as AT SOME POINT FAN is at, or over, 350ppm - you're good.

Also, I'm using the Wyeast wine nutrient in this latest batch as an alternative to Fermaid-K - contributes 15ppm YAN at .5g/gallon + zinc and no urea - something to consider.

Wow...long pseudo-answer.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/