Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Urban Brewing article in Jan/Feb 2012--Fermenter Q  (Read 6900 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Urban Brewing article in Jan/Feb 2012--Fermenter Q
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:26:09 am »
I greatly enjoyed the "Urban Brewing" article, which had some ideas I hadn't thought of (such as the bucket heater) and may also inspire me to try BIAB.

I did have a question. The author recommends 3-gallon Better Bottles for fermenting 3-gallon batches. I do have a couple of BBs this size, bought in a sale on Amazon, but actually haven't used them in a couple of years because in my experience, there isn't enough headspace for fermenting a 3-gallon batch, even after factoring in the loss from hops, etc. (I use a 5-gal BB and a 4-gal fermenter I made from a food-safe bucket purchased at a restaurant supply store.) Comments? Fermcap?

I have to admire someone who "downsizes a couch" to make room for a kegerator! (I actually am thinking about a home office reorg to make room for a small fermenting fridge)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:28:02 am by kgs »
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Urban Brewing article in Jan/Feb 2012--Fermenter Q
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:36:13 am »
Remember that there's also the school of thought that blowing off the 'braun hefe' is a good thing.  I ferment my 5.5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon BB with blowoff hose setup.
Joe

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:59:09 am »
Remember that there's also the school of thought that blowing off the 'braun hefe' is a good thing.  I ferment my 5.5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon BB with blowoff hose setup.

Agreed that such a school of thought exists, but it wasn't mentioned (and I don't see where the blowoff setup would fit in the "urban brewing" scenario).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Mary Izett

• 1st Kit
  • fermenter of many things
    • My Life on Craft
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:34:27 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the article! I have used a blowoff tube in the past.  I've only needed one for the first few days & then replace it with a traditional airlock.  However, since I started using Fermcap, I rarely need a blowoff tube.  Ack - I can't believe I didn't mention Fermcap in the article - it's a miracle for urban brewers. 
Author of Speed Brewing,
BJCP National Judge,
Co-Host of Fuhmentaboudit on Heritage Radio Network,
President, Cuzett Libations

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 07:04:29 pm »
Ack - I can't believe I didn't mention Fermcap in the article - it's a miracle for urban brewers. 

You did mention it.  Albeit with respect to adding at the beginning of the boil to prevent boilovers (your step 6 in the article)
Joe

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:37:43 pm »
Ack - I can't believe I didn't mention Fermcap in the article - it's a miracle for urban brewers. 

You did mention it.  Albeit with respect to adding at the beginning of the boil to prevent boilovers (your step 6 in the article)

From the first mention, I assumed you were using Fermcap, but glad to see that confirmed. Having lived in a tiny NYC apartment I'm impressed you would live with a blowoff tube, but then, you *did* trade in your couch for a kegerator... serious zymurgophilia!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 07:58:12 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the article! I have used a blowoff tube in the past.  I've only needed one for the first few days & then replace it with a traditional airlock.  However, since I started using Fermcap, I rarely need a blowoff tube.  Ack - I can't believe I didn't mention Fermcap in the article - it's a miracle for urban brewers. 

Very nice article Mary!

I was pleasantly surprised to see your name in Zymurgy.  :)
Ron Price