Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strong Ale to commemorate a dear friend  (Read 1456 times)

Offline brewmandan

• 1st Kit
Strong Ale to commemorate a dear friend
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:39:03 pm »
Hello AHA community,

I first want to thank everyone that comes onto this site to help each other out.  The amount of great advise I have received from countless individuals is truly inspiring.  This is an amazing community of homebrewers I am grateful to be a part of.  You guys rock!

OK so here is why I am writing for help today.  Unfortunately a few days ago I lost a close friend that died in a boating accident at the age of 23.  It is an tragic event that took him at a very early age.  A friend and I came up with the idea to make a collaboration beer as our way to commemorate our friend Alex who passed.

Basically we have come up some criteria on what we want out of this beer.

1.  It needs to be a high alcohol beer, at least 10% (he liked to push the boundaries, so this one is a must)
2.  It needs to be clean, very drinkable, and not taste like a high alcohol beer (im thinking maybe a strong Belgian ale, but I am open to other ideas)
3.  I would love it to also be something that is a little bit outside the box, and definitely not something you can find at your local brewery or beer bar.

Basically I am asking for help in 2 areas.  First, does anyone have any recommendations on the type, style, or ingredients for this beer.  What grains and yeasts would you recommend?  Second, I would love to get feedback on how to successfully ferment a high alcohol beer (I have never brewed anything over 5.5% so far).

I really look forward to making this beer, and I would highly recommend it to anyone that finds themselves in a similar unfortunate situation.  Alex had a great life, even though it was cut short, and I look forward to cracking open this beer with close friends celebrating his life.  :)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Strong Ale to commemorate a dear friend
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:39:11 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friend.

A Belgian golden strong ale might be somewhere in the neighborhood you're looking for.  Nice and strong but with a dry finish from the use of a fairly high amount of sugar.  If you want to step outside the box you could rack it onto fruit after the primary fermentation and hit it with some Brett.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline brewmandan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friend.

A Belgian golden strong ale might be somewhere in the neighborhood you're looking for.  Nice and strong but with a dry finish from the use of a fairly high amount of sugar.  If you want to step outside the box you could rack it onto fruit after the primary fermentation and hit it with some Brett.

Well I love that idea of adding fruit and Brett.  However, I am thinking I probably wont want to wait that long to be able to drink it.  Doesnt it take a few months for the Brett to work?

Maybe we can do a 10 gallon batch, split it off into 2 different 5 gallon carboys, and hit one with fruit and Brett.  Now that is an idea!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:32:34 am »
How long do you plan to age this beer? Will you commemorate annually or brew more batches in honor of him and have it all the time?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:40 am »

Well I love that idea of adding fruit and Brett.  However, I am thinking I probably wont want to wait that long to be able to drink it.  Doesnt it take a few months for the Brett to work?

Maybe we can do a 10 gallon batch, split it off into 2 different 5 gallon carboys, and hit one with fruit and Brett.  Now that is an idea!

Yeah, it'll take awhile for the brett to finish up.  Splitting a 10 gallon batch is a good idea.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:33:22 am »
I like a Strong Scotch Ale for something like this.

http://beerdujour.com/Howtobrewabigbeer.htm

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Strong Scottish Ale (AG)
Brewer: Fred Bonjour
Asst Brewer:
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal     
Boil Size: 9.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.113 SG
Estimated Color: 20.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 180 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount       Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
12 lbs       Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        53.93 %     
6 lbs        Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM)            Grain        26.97 %     
1 lbs        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        4.49 %       
1 lbs        Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)     Grain        4.49 %       
1 lbs        Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM)       Grain        4.49 %       
1 lbs        Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)                Grain        4.49 %       
4.0 oz       Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)         Grain        1.12 %       
1.99 oz      Goldings, East Kent [4.10 %]  (60 min)    Hops         29.8 IBU     
1 Pkgs       Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)          Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out             150
Total Grain Weight: 22.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out             150
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 27.81 qt of water at 162.0 F    150.0 F       

Notes:
------
Yes this is a low mash temp, but this is a 10% beer
If you wish a stronger beer add more base malt
This was style was traditionally made without peated or smoked malt.  I like to use a little smoked malt (not peated)  to give a "hint" of smoke.  If you can say that is smoke, you have used too much.  If you say is that smoke, that's ok.
Because of the size of this beer we are mashing low to get the right FG (1.020-1.030 is ok) 
Yeast, use a yeast cake of a small beer, I like to use an English Mild but most beers will do.  Substitute 2-3 packets of Nottingham yeast if you like.

The long boil does awesome things with this beer.  And, very important, ferment cool, mid 60's wort temp. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)