Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Never Again" beers  (Read 24619 times)

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
Re: "Never Again" beers
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2011, 02:14:13 pm »
*shudders at a lot of the beers being mentioned.*
Chili beer? seriously? Gaaaaahhh.............

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »
 Never again will I buy anything from Magic Hat.

Also, there is a brewery in Ohio, in Garretsville. I forget the name of it. I have never had such consistently sucky beer in my life. I got the sampler, and everything from the wheat, to the IPA to the stout was the same. The IPA tasted like stout, or did the stout taste like IPA? A couple of the beers actually had infections. It was just awful. But, on the plus side, the food was amazing!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2011, 03:26:05 pm »
Another + to the nastiness of chile beers.  The one and only time I've had one, I had to for-thought to take sausages out for supper.  Two sips in I had enough and poured the rest of the glass in the pot with the sausages - damned tasty sausages though!

Made a whole batch of a Chipotle IPA years ago.  It was the kind of beer you had to force yourself to drink.  Each time I raised my glass to take a sip my body said "no..no...don't do that again..." and I had to force my arm to comply.  WAY too much heat.  Personally it just tastes out of place in a beer, like I don't want mustard beer or garlic beer or worcestershire beer or anything like that, but I love their flavor in food.  The food I eat is actually a lot spicier than this beer, but somehow I just can't marry up the concept of spicy food and cold beverage...spicy food WITH cold beverage, yes, but spicy cold beverage, unless we are talking ginger beer, is a no win for me.  After each sip, my body just screams out, "wait, this is supposed to be beer, WTF?!"  Maybe a milder flavor chili (poblano, or anaheim/hatch chile) would make a more interesting beer with more flavor than heat.

HOWEVER I use it in cooking still...chili, beer bread, braising sausages, beer batter....

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2011, 05:01:24 pm »
Chili beers can be interesting but I never want more than one of them, personally.
I think my Poblano Witbier is nearly perfect as a lawnmower beer.  I can drink a couple pints easy on a hot day.  AND it's good in steamed mussels.

Sounds good, poblanos aren't spicy so that might work for my tastes. I had a brown ale that was made with mild chili once and it was pretty good.

Same thing with ginger - I love spicy food but don't like a drink with lots of heat. I love the taste of real ginger ale for about half a glass.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »
*shudders at a lot of the beers being mentioned.*
Chili beer? seriously? Gaaaaahhh.............

You should ask Denny to tell you about his ale made with chanterelle mushrooms - might make you take a double take on ingredients that can and have been used in beers.  I thought he was crazy at first, now I am curious as hell to try it.  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2011, 08:45:54 pm »
You should ask Denny to tell you about his ale made with chanterelle mushrooms - might make you take a double take on ingredients that can and have been used in beers.  I thought he was crazy at first, now I am curious as hell to try it.  ;)

Well, Keith, you'll get a chance.  I'm gonna make a batch to serve at Club Night at NHC next summer!  The chanterelles work because they subtly blend in, unlike chiles which stomp on yer palate!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2011, 04:18:06 am »

Well, Keith, you'll get a chance.  I'm gonna make a batch to serve at Club Night at NHC next summer!  The chanterelles work because they subtly blend in, unlike chiles which stomp on yer palate!
Depends entirely on the amount and type of peppers.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:57 am »

Depends entirely on the amount and type of peppers.

Yeah, I agree, Jeff.  I was painting with a broad brush.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell