Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Never Again" beers  (Read 24537 times)

narvin

Re: "Never Again" beers
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 09:33:49 am »
Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Red. I'm not into sours really but can usually stomach them, but this one is just gross.

Wow.  First Gouden Carolus, now Monk's Flemish Sour... this thread has just gone completely sideways.  Gonna have to cover my ears and pretend I'm not hearing this  ;)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:02 am »
I have had a lot of Anker's (brewery who makes Gouden Carolus) beers, and never felt sick from them. Steel Reserve 211, however, is a different story.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:19:37 am »
I attempted to drink Dave's Cave Creek Chili beer twice.  Truly awful the first time.  A few years later pretty much the same the second time.
I was going to say that ;D

I may get some flack for this, but Fat Tire is something I never need to have again. Too much biscuit to it. I like lots of other New Belgium beers, but I won't buy another folly pack because of the Fat Tire.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 11:21:41 am »
I'm not a big Fat Tire fan and LaFollie tastes like vomit. They have a few other very nice beers though.

jaybeerman

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:47:34 am »
I've only sent back one beer in my life; it was after just two sips.  The funny thing is that, we were traveling and had stopped at a small cafe to eat.  I asked the waitress what they had on tap and she listed a beer I'd never heard of before, so I asked who had brewed it.  Rather than tell me the name of the brewery she just told me the brewers name; it was an old friend that I hadn't seen in a long time.  I think the beer was an american amber; it was completely, horribly, sour.  Everyone else in the bar was drinking the amber ale and raving about how great the new brewery was (their first brewery).  I cracked up and told her that just because the brewer was a friend I would not be finishing the beer and I didn't care what everyone else in the bar thought.  To be fair, I know that since then they've cleaned things up and I'm betting their american amber is good.

There was a Ft Collins brewery that has since gone out of business, I recall hating every single one of their brews.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:45 pm »
Well, my wife and I ate the same food and she was totally fine the next day, so I'm guessing no on the food poisoning.
Food poisoning often takes more the 12 hours to develop.

Never again?  Hmmmm, never say never.  But I'd prefer other options over just about any American wheat beer you can name.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:58 pm »
My worst beer was a Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic.  I bought a few Holiday Beer packs back when I was getting started and needed bottles.  Each 12 pack had 2 Cranberry Lambics in it.  I forced 2 down and poured the rest out.  I've never found a lambic I enjoyed yet.

Sometimes it's just a lack of knowledge:

When we go out I will often order Boulevard Wheat because it's a decent wheat and is available pretty consistently in Central Iowa.  We go to a little hole in the wall restaurant once in awhile.  Normally we will get a bottle of wine but one night I ordered a wheat.  The owner is young kid (and I mean young, he bought the place at 18) and he brings my beer and my wife's iced tea and says he's interested in my opinion of the beer because they haven't sold much of it.  I took one sip and asked when was the last time he clean his beer lines?  He didn't know.  While we ate our meal, some friends happened to show up and sat down with us.  They kept my wife entertained while I cleaned the tap lines and faucets on his bar.  The next time we were in he comped our meal.  He said he's never sold so much beer and wanted to thank me for teaching him how to care for his taps.  

The next week another friend of mine complained that some jerk to went his favorite little joint and wrecked the beer.  The owner told him a customer had taught him to clean the beer lines.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 12:18:14 pm »
Nothing has made me sick other than the Cantillon Grand Cru I drank one night 4 years ago. Still think it messed my insides up.

For just plain bad beer Breckinridge Vanilla Porter comes to mind. Or stuff brewed at Independence Brewery in Austin. Their Convict Hill Stout is so horrible I've poured out every glass after a few sips.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:12 pm »
I'll second Fat Tire as a never again purchase, but if given to me I'd drink it.  I remember it just tasting uniquely strange, maybe its the biscuit malt, but something very distinct, almost plasticky about it.  Phenols?  I do have a vivid memory of drinking 3 of the the only sixer I ever bought of it, while watching "The General" (Buster Keaton) years ago.  Pleasant memory...not a beer I would seek out again though.  But it wasn't foul, just not to my taste.

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »
I tried a Summer Shandy by Leinenkugel for sh**s and giggles since the only beers available were  Blue Moon,  Summer Shandy or Harpoon IPA.  Made a heroic effort to drink it and finally my wife said, "give me that" and proceeded to get it swapped out for a Harpoon IPA (She disliked it more than I did).  I have a GREAT wife!  I will never let a sip of that past my lips again!
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 01:43:24 pm »
Last winter my wife and I were at the local brewery (Maumee Bay Brewing Co.) and she asked for one of their specialty beers called "Smoke Bomb".  Luckily, the bartender said you should try a sample of this before you buy a pint.  We both tasted it and it was flat out awful and we could barely swallow a sip - way too much smokiness.  Later I found out that they used 40% cherry smoked malt in the grist ???
Dan Chisholm

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »
Dogfish 120.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:46 pm »
I am never touching anything by Carolus ever again.

I wonder if you got a bad bottle or there wasn't something else at work.  I've had that beer on many occasions without suffering any ill effects.

They kept my wife entertained while I cleaned the tap lines and faucets on his bar.  The next time we were in he comped our meal.  He said he's never sold so much beer and wanted to thank me for teaching him how to care for his taps.

That's amazing.

Dogfish 120.

You're nuts!
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »
Pretty much anything that has the word Pumpkin on the label.  Vile, nasty creations that make me want to gargle with Drano.
With one strange exception.  Diane, the brewer at a nearby brewpub, brewed a special batch of pumpkin beer one year that somehow got infected, but in a good way.  The owner wouldn't let her sell it and she didn't like sour beers so I got 1.5 cornies of sour pumpkin beer that was delicious.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline brandon

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 02:20:53 pm »
Pretty much anything that has the word Pumpkin on the label.  Vile, nasty creations that make me want to gargle with Drano.
With one strange exception.  Diane, the brewer at a nearby brewpub, brewed a special batch of pumpkin beer one year that somehow got infected, but in a good way.  The owner wouldn't let her sell it and she didn't like sour beers so I got 1.5 cornies of sour pumpkin beer that was delicious.

Not even Jolly Pumpkin?
www.EMBRACEtheFUNK.com <---My Sour Beer Website