Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Never Again" beers  (Read 24531 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: "Never Again" beers
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 02:25:45 pm »
Dogfish 120.

+1 - I hate DFH 120. The 60 minute is pretty good. The 120 Minute is way over the top and way too sweet.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 02:29:37 pm »
Pretty much anything that has the word Pumpkin on the label.  Vile, nasty creations that make me want to gargle with Drano.
With one strange exception.  Diane, the brewer at a nearby brewpub, brewed a special batch of pumpkin beer one year that somehow got infected, but in a good way.  The owner wouldn't let her sell it and she didn't like sour beers so I got 1.5 cornies of sour pumpkin beer that was delicious.

Not even Jolly Pumpkin?

LOVE me some Jolly Pumpkin. Never had a bad one. Never had enough of what I had, either.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »
Love Jolly Pumpkin, but now I open it outside since last year the stout they make ended up on my dining room ceiling!

Went to a John Harvards in or around Wayne PA a few years ago and they had a scotch ale that was made with the most repugnant peated malt you could ever imagine - and they used a lot of it.  This beer smelled and tasted like a pair of old sweaty gym socks.  It was truly vile.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »
I tried a Summer Shandy by Leinenkugel for sh**s and giggles since the only beers available were  Blue Moon,  Summer Shandy or Harpoon IPA.  Made a heroic effort to drink it and finally my wife said, "give me that" and proceeded to get it swapped out for a Harpoon IPA (She disliked it more than I did).  I have a GREAT wife!  I will never let a sip of that past my lips again!

Tried this last week while in Michigan and I am not sure it is even a beer.  It was more like a beer syrup used to induce a gagging reflex.  The waitress asked us how we liked it and was shocked when the four of us sent it back and called it horrible.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »
To me shandies and radlers are not necessarily bad, but should be mixed fresh!  Premixed beer and lemonade in a bottle sounds more like a malt cooler...not something very appealing.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »
Tried this last week while in Michigan and I am not sure it is even a beer.  It was more like a beer syrup used to induce a gagging reflex.  The waitress asked us how we liked it and was shocked when the four of us sent it back and called it horrible.
I've never tried it, but their Berry Weiss is described as Fruity Pebbles in a glass.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline dublulovesbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »
My worst beer was a Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic.  I bought a few Holiday Beer packs back when I was getting started and needed bottles.  Each 12 pack had 2 Cranberry Lambics in it.  I forced 2 down and poured the rest out.  I've never found a lambic I enjoyed yet.

I made a solid Flanders stew with 2 of those last winter, I suggest that to people who want the SA pack but cannot stand those.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 03:00:12 pm »
Pretty much anything that has the word Pumpkin on the label.  Vile, nasty creations that make me want to gargle with Drano.
With one strange exception.  Diane, the brewer at a nearby brewpub, brewed a special batch of pumpkin beer one year that somehow got infected, but in a good way.  The owner wouldn't let her sell it and she didn't like sour beers so I got 1.5 cornies of sour pumpkin beer that was delicious.

Not even Jolly Pumpkin?

LOVE me some Jolly Pumpkin. Never had a bad one. Never had enough of what I had, either.
You got me on that one.  I do love the JP stuff but I can't get it anywhere around here.  My daughter gave me a split case of La Roja and Bam Wheat a few years ago when she lived in Albuquerque but I haven't had one in a long time.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »
The only beer I've had that i would describe as truly vile is Brau Brothers Scotch Ale. Had it at a tasting event a few summers ago. It was the only beer I had to spit out that day. They must have used 50% peated malt in the stuff. It tasted like an ashtray!

There are certainly beers I don't care for, but not many for which I would say "never again." I generally avoid fruit beers or beers with other flavor additives like herbs and spices, the exception being certain Belgian styles.

Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:32 pm »
The only beer I've had that i would describe as truly vile is Brau Brothers Scotch Ale. Had it at a tasting event a few summers ago. It was the only beer I had to spit out that day. They must have used 50% peated malt in the stuff. It tasted like an ashtray!

There are certainly beers I don't care for, but not many for which I would say "never again." I generally avoid fruit beers or beers with other flavor additives like herbs and spices, the exception being certain Belgian styles.

Haha!! Sounds like my first attempt at a smoked stout.  At the time, I didn't know anything about peat smoked malt and probably used 40%.  Five years later I still have most of it sitting in bottles.  I still can't bring myself to pour it out, but I can't bring myself to drink it either.  If I remember in Gordon's new book, he mentions something about peat smoked malt and the flavor of "open grave" or something like that.  Pretty accurate description, and one beer I won't ever drink or brew again.

So that brings me to a question.  I don't want to hijack the thread, but everyone is listing commercial brews. What about home brews that you would never brew again for the same reasons?
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 05:02:14 pm »
A beer called mephistopheles stout, out of Avery I think. 

It tasted like a mix of 4 day old coffe and used motor oil and 16% abv.  It was the most fowl thing I have every ingested.  If there was a such a thing as a beer monster.  A big bad burly monster made of beer, and one morning he got up and took a dump, I believe it would taste like that. 

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 05:08:21 pm »
Mine is Boon Geuze. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47/153
I should have poured it out or sent it back but GAWD was it horrible. It tasted
like burnt rubber. Or if you have ever smelled the small puff of smoke produced
when landing gear touches the runway the first time right after a landing, that was
the taste. Ugh.

Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 05:12:45 pm »
Saranac Maple Porter. That was awful.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 05:24:12 pm »
DogFish Head 120 IPA.  Nastiest beer ever made. Why do people like it?  ???

Offline adruma

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 05:39:43 pm »
Nothing has made me sick other than the Cantillon Grand Cru I drank one night 4 years ago. Still think it messed my insides up.

For just plain bad beer Breckinridge Vanilla Porter comes to mind. Or stuff brewed at Independence Brewery in Austin. Their Convict Hill Stout is so horrible I've poured out every glass after a few sips.

I agree on the Vanilla Porter - I'm almost positive that's the one I had. I tried and tried but couldn't drink the entire pint.