Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Never Again" beers  (Read 24535 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: "Never Again" beers
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 04:21:05 am »
Delirium

Delirium Tremens or Nocturnum are nice beers if you can ever get them fresh. They do have a certain "funkiness" to them that may be challenging to some palettes, but quite nice once you develop a taste for them.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2011, 05:19:21 am »
I challenge everyone who has posted in this thread to travel to western Colorado and try the brews at "Rockslide Brewery."  I can guarantee you that it will top your "never again" list.  The funny part is that for decade(s) it was our only brewpub.  Now locals think that beer is supposed to taste like that.  Thank god for homebrew and one newer brewpub that makes very solid though non adventurous brews. 
Well at least the drive from Denver will be pretty. That stretch of I-70 has to be the most scenic piece of Interstate system.

There's a new Chicago brewery that I've had exactly one beer from. It was an IPA that was overly sweet and astringent to the point of undrinkable. I want to support new breweries but I'm hesitant to try anything else.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

narvin

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 06:01:28 am »
Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 06:30:16 am »
Well at least the drive from Denver will be pretty. That stretch of I-70 has to be the most scenic piece of Interstate system.

It is beautiful in a traditional way (certainly better than going from Denver the OTHER way on I70!  :D), although keep going into Utah and hang south and things get pretty amazing there too! 

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 06:30:57 am »
I challenge everyone who has posted in this thread to travel to western Colorado and try the brews at "Rockslide Brewery."  I can guarantee you that it will top your "never again" list.  The funny part is that for decade(s) it was our only brewpub.  Now locals think that beer is supposed to taste like that.  Thank god for homebrew and one newer brewpub that makes very solid though non adventurous brews. 

There's a new Chicago brewery that I've had exactly one beer from. It was an IPA that was overly sweet and astringent to the point of undrinkable. I want to support new breweries but I'm hesitant to try anything else.

Not Half Acre, is it?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2011, 07:17:39 am »
It's a toss up between SA triple bock, tastes too much like soy sauce, and SA cranberry lambic.  The lambic is one of the only beers that I've poured out after 2 sips. 
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2011, 07:24:26 am »
I really, really tried to enjoy that tripel bock... alas, to no avail. Nasty stuff. Cool bottle though!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2011, 07:52:40 am »
Years ago my brother in law and I bought a bunch of SA triple bock. We ended up splitting a bottle each year at Christmas as penance for our sins of the past year. After 4 or 5 years we ran out but it still tasted just as bad.  I've been fearful of high gravity beer ever since I had that one. 

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2011, 08:20:15 am »
I will say it (SA triple bock) was somewhat groundbreaking, if hard to enjoy!  But in the realm of over-hyped high gravity beers I at least thought the DFH ones I tried actually tasted like beer.  Well, not the 120min...that tasted like sweetened hop syrup...but the WW Stout was a good beer as I recall, oh those many years ago.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 08:44:50 am »

Dogfish 120.

You're nuts!

Then I am, too.  I just can't stand that stuff.  I wish DFH would make more solid beers and fewer experiments.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 09:12:41 am »
Yeah but your nuts for an entirely different reason.  :P

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 09:14:53 am »
Yeah but your nuts for an entirely different reason.  :P

Oh, yeah, right..... ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2011, 09:18:11 am »
So far we have a couple Cantillons, Boone Gueuze, Hop Stoopid, Delirium, and Gouden Carolus Cuvee van De Kaiser.  Sounds like my fridge.

Offline gigatropolis

• Cellarman
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2011, 09:20:54 am »
Has anyone  mentioned that Miller 64 stuff? I did a half marathon last year and they were giving it out free at the end. Had one swallow and couldn't take another even after 13 mile jog in the sun. It was corn syrup with a slight indistinguishably aftertaste of beer.

Never ever ever again

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2011, 09:22:15 am »
So far we have a couple Cantillons, Boone Gueuze, Hop Stoopid, Delirium, and Gouden Carolus Cuvee van De Kaiser.  Sounds like my fridge.

I kinda look at it as proof of why there are so many different beer styles.  Not everyone likes everything, but there's something for everybody.

www.dennybrew.com