Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Never Again" beers  (Read 24613 times)

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: "Never Again" beers
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2011, 09:28:27 am »
I challenge everyone who has posted in this thread to travel to western Colorado and try the brews at "Rockslide Brewery."  I can guarantee you that it will top your "never again" list.  The funny part is that for decade(s) it was our only brewpub.  Now locals think that beer is supposed to taste like that.  Thank god for homebrew and one newer brewpub that makes very solid though non adventurous brews. 
Well at least the drive from Denver will be pretty. That stretch of I-70 has to be the most scenic piece of Interstate system.

There's a new Chicago brewery that I've had exactly one beer from. It was an IPA that was overly sweet and astringent to the point of undrinkable. I want to support new breweries but I'm hesitant to try anything else.

Not Half Acre, is it?

Argus. I really want to like them, their brewery is in the old Schlitz stable in Pullman (which dates from the 1900s) and I go past it twice a day on the train. Maybe I just got a bad bottle.

All the Half Acre beers I've had have been good. Their Double Daisy Cutter is excellent.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2011, 09:53:44 am »

"I may get some flack for this, but Fat Tire is something I never need to have again. Too much biscuit to it. I like lots of other New Belgium beers, but I won't buy another folly pack because of the Fat Tire."

I think drinking this beer tastes like sucking toe fungus off of a frito lays monster.

And I can't do any porters or stouts. I give them a go every once in a while but can't do it.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2011, 10:02:17 am »

And I can't do any porters or stouts. I give them a go every once in a while but can't do it.

Now that is weak.  ;)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2011, 10:41:13 am »
Yesh, I feel sorry for celiac folks, but dang...never again...the New Planet Gluten Free Raspberry Ale.
Yuck.  I sure loves me some gluten. :-[

I will second the Never Again at Rockslide in WColorado.  Garbage.  Shame, bc they have a cool location.

Man, we really are spoiled with so many good, decent, not too bad, and exceptional beers in so many styles.

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2011, 10:42:53 am »
Van Merritt - Wisconsin.

crazy colon blow!

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2011, 10:44:18 am »
It's the texture they are too thick and the flavors I can't do. These styles in my opinion are to the extreme of things. And bc they are knarly people "need" to like him. It's like buying a hummer bc it's the biggest or buying a desert eagle bc it's the biggest handgun.

Just bc people say that I should them doesn't mean I will.

Opinions are like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink.

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh**. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2011, 10:51:27 am »
It's the texture they are too thick and the flavors I can't do. These styles in my opinion are to the extreme of things. And bc they are knarly people "need" to like him. It's like buying a hummer bc it's the biggest or buying a desert eagle bc it's the biggest handgun.

Just bc people say that I should them doesn't mean I will.

Opinions are like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink.

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh**. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

First off, let me just say that I respect the fact that you don't liek stouts/porters - I admit that more often than not I am not in the mood for one. I never brew them anymore.

That said, do you like coffee? If you don't like coffee then I understand. If you do like cofffee then I don't understand why you would "never" like a stout or porter. Similar types of flavors.

Also, not all dark beers are "thick". It's just roasted grain in most cases. Guiness draught is one of the lightest beers (that is not actually a "Lite" beer) out there.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 11:00:11 am »
I think drinking this beer tastes like sucking toe fungus off of a frito lays monster.
I'm sorry,  I'm not familiar with that flavor, can you describe it to me?  Just can't seem to find a "frito lays monster" around here.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:14 am »
Well taste like a cross of eating fritos and taking a big whiff of old running shoes.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:25 am »
I'm sorry,  I'm not familiar with that flavor, can you describe it to me?  Just can't seem to find a "frito lays monster" around here.

Mmmmm....Fritos.

My first homebrew...man was that God-Awful!  :P
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2011, 11:19:04 am »
Well taste like a cross of eating fritos and taking a big whiff of old running shoes.

You didn't answer my question above - do you like coffee?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 11:31:28 am »
I have to second (or third or fourth) the Sam Adams triple bock It wasn't BAD perse but strage and soy saucy/maple syrupy course the one I had was 6 years old so who's to say what it was like a little fresher.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2011, 11:38:28 am »

Oh I thought that was included in the new BJCP guidelines!  :D

CKpash, if you want to tinker with darker beers, you might try schwarzbier, as they have a lighter lagery profile with a debittered black malt giving colour and only a mildly roasty flavor.  If you think dry stout and porter are "extremes" ie Hummers and Desert Eagles, you may have a mistaken impression of them, as many people do.  They are often low gravity session beers, and only those uninformed chumps that think that Guinness is a REALLY STRONG BEER (and thus brag about it) drink them out of a desire to seem macho!   ;D  But taste is taste, so don't worry about preferring non-roasty beers.  I know stout drinkers that hate IPAs.  De gustibus non est disputandum!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:27 am »
I have to second (or third or fourth) the Sam Adams triple bock It wasn't BAD perse but strage and soy saucy/maple syrupy course the one I had was 6 years old so who's to say what it was like a little fresher.

Well, when it came out, everybody was saying that it just needed some age to get rid of that flavor....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2011, 11:45:20 am »

Well, when it came out, everybody was saying that it just needed some age to get rid of that flavor....;)

I guess that explains why I found a 6 year old bottle in a liqour store in boston.  ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce