Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Never Again" beers  (Read 24953 times)

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Re: "Never Again" beers
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2011, 11:56:41 am »
Oh I love coffee that's what I like about them but in general I just can't drink them. I try them as little samples but I cannot drink more then 4 ounces if them. The macho comment is true I ran into a buddy from high school at a bar and I told him that I homebrew and he said that you can't say you know beer I you don't like guineas then he told me the best beer is bud light so he made himself out to be a meat head. It's like those dudes he want to look sophisticated and drink heinekin lol

There is never a bad beer just ones that you don't like.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2011, 12:43:23 pm »
I'll add Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat, the Imperial Wit (which was syrupy and sweet), and their summer wheat that came in their mix 6 pack. 

I also won't bother with anything in a green bottle (Heineken/Stella) or clear, as well.  Heineken in a can, though, rocks. 

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »
I also won't bother with anything in a green bottle (Heineken/Stella) or clear, as well.  Heineken in a can, though, rocks.  
Spaten Oktoberfest comes in a green bottle, and it is delicious if you buy the sealed 12 packs.  I've never had a skunked one.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:08:51 pm by dbeechum »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

narvin

« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2011, 01:04:39 pm »
Oh I love coffee that's what I like about them but in general I just can't drink them. I try them as little samples but I cannot drink more then 4 ounces if them. The macho comment is true I ran into a buddy from high school at a bar and I told him that I homebrew and he said that you can't say you know beer I you don't like guineas then he told me the best beer is bud light so he made himself out to be a meat head. It's like those dudes he want to look sophisticated and drink heinekin lol

I think most macho beer geeks drink Imperal IPAs now, since beer geeks know that Guinness is actually a "light" beer in alcohol and body.   ;)

jaybeerman

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »
Well at least the drive from Denver will be pretty. That stretch of I-70 has to be the most scenic piece of Interstate system.
It is beautiful in a traditional way (certainly better than going from Denver the OTHER way on I70!  :D), although keep going into Utah and hang south and things get pretty amazing there too! 

Yes amazing drive, nice that you can see the mountains of denver-grand junction immediately followed by the desert of grand junction-moab.  Let me know when you're ready to make a special trip for a "never again" beer; actually if you wanted you could have all 6 or so beers that they make and go for six "never again" beers.

jaybeerman

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2011, 01:37:53 pm »
I will second the Never Again at Rockslide in WColorado.  Garbage.  Shame, bc they have a cool location.

Great location.  The owners are truly thick headed and stubborn.  At this point I think a campaign should be launched to make them into a tourist hot spot.  Come have one of the worst brews made in the US, "wash" it down with mediocre cafeteria style food served as if it were California cuisine.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »

Gotta disagree..there ARE some bad beers out there.  Not just no to my taste, but truly poorly made.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2011, 02:13:47 pm »
It's not the beers fault the brewer is a idiot lol. I guess that is true but no madder how bad it is there is still a lot of effort put into making it.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2011, 02:34:08 pm »
It's not the beers fault the brewer is a idiot lol. I guess that is true but no madder how bad it is there is still a lot of effort put into making it.

Again, I'd have to disagree (regrettably) in some cases.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »
You can't blame it on the ingredients, in most cases. It all boils down to the brewer. He's in charge of what goes in and how it's prepared.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2011, 02:47:54 pm »
To me, for a beer to be a "never again", I'd have to be in a bar with it on tap, and order wine instead.... There are not very many of those.  
- Peak Organic Weiss Principal (an imperial hoppy wheat)
- Most spicy Winter Lagers (Sam Adams, Harpoon)
- Corona
- Bud Light
- Bud Light Lime

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2011, 02:50:31 pm »
I have to second (or third or fourth) the Sam Adams triple bock It wasn't BAD perse but strage and soy saucy/maple syrupy course the one I had was 6 years old so who's to say what it was like a little fresher.

Well, when it came out, everybody was saying that it just needed some age to get rid of that flavor....;)

I guess that explains why I found a 6 year old bottle in a liqour store in boston.  ;D

I have a bottle or two from 1994/95.  Maybe it's time to see if they're better now.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:32 pm »
I have to second (or third or fourth) the Sam Adams triple bock It wasn't BAD perse but strage and soy saucy/maple syrupy course the one I had was 6 years old so who's to say what it was like a little fresher.

Well, when it came out, everybody was saying that it just needed some age to get rid of that flavor....;)

I guess that explains why I found a 6 year old bottle in a liqour store in boston.  ;D

I have a bottle or two from 1994/95.  Maybe it's time to see if they're better now.

I paid nearly $20 for a bottle in 94. Awful. What does it cost now?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2011, 03:18:13 pm »

I paid nearly $20 for a bottle in 94. Awful. What does it cost now?

I think I paid 10 or 15 in 2006
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2011, 03:45:04 pm »
I will second the Never Again at Rockslide in WColorado.  Garbage.  Shame, bc they have a cool location.
Come have one of the worst brews made in the US, "wash" it down with mediocre cafeteria style food served as if it were California cuisine.

:D

The last time I went there (as in never again),
it was with my homebrewing brother.

The ultracool hipster California cuisine waiter says "whaddya have"
My brothers mulls a second and says "I'll try your Cream Ale"
Ultracool hipster California cuisine waiter says, "BMC drinker aye?" ::)

Yep, not only the attitude and service, but the beers all stink.
Never Again.