Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Repitching onto a gelatin-ed yeast cake, should it be done?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
Repitching onto a gelatin-ed yeast cake, should it be done?
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:12:41 am »
I just racked my Smash Time IPA to secondary for dry hopping. My wife and I are brewing an Imperial Stout tomorrow and I planned to use the same yeast (US-05) but I had to fine the IPA with gelatin before racking and don't know if I can re-use the yeast cake now. This would be my first time recycling yeast. My gut tells me no, but it would be a waste to toss perfectly good, active yeast! What are your thoughts?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Repitching onto a gelatin-ed yeast cake, should it be done?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:23:40 am »
Ya know, there are some good reasons not to try this regardless of the gelatin. Yeast is not as healthy after finishing a high gravity, highly hopped beer. The high gravity causes the yeast to be "tired" and the excess hop resins coats the cells causing further problems. Personally, I'd just pitch some fresh yeast.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:07:16 am »
I would think that the yeast would not floc out because of all the sugars available.  The gelatin would sink, but it wouldn't necessarily take the yeast with it.  But I've never tried it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:59:57 am »
I assume it would work, but I personally wouldn't repitch a cake that had been gelatin'd.  US-05 is cheap enough and two packets should do the trick depending on how imperial you are going with your stout.  Rehydrating is very important especially in a higher gravity beer, as not rehydrating will sacrifice 50% of the cells in dry yeast.  Peace of mind is worth a few bucks IMHO.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 07:09:08 am »
I ended up pitching 2 packets of rehydrated US-05, worked like a charm as I expected it would.  It appears to be almost 90% fermented in only 7 days, wow!  1.100 to 1.028, I expect to drop another 10 points before it's done.  The yeast hasn't flocced out yet and I'm still getting bubbles in the airlock every 5-10 seconds.  It already tastes awesome, btw. :)