Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 8/12 Edition  (Read 5523 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 8/12 Edition
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 07:06:52 pm »
It finally dropped below 100  last week, so I was able to brew yesterday. I have a blonde ale fermenting away now.  :)
Tulsa, OK

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »
My wife and I are going to Philly and NYC for a few days.  I'm looking forward to some beer/pub research.

I was in NYC last weekend.  The local homebrewers (a great bunch, BTW) met me at Rattle N Hum near The Empire State Building.  I think it was on 33rd between 5th and Madison.  They have a web site.

Great selection!  They had an IPA festival recently, so many were still on tap.  They had 5 gravity casks and 2 hand pumps, plus something like 40 taps.  I didn't have food while there, but what I saw looked great (like a proper English breakfast).

Two big thumbs up if you're in midtown.
I'll have to give them another chance.  The one time I was there I had the worst bartender I've ever had (and I have been to a few bars in my day).  Normally when I sit at the bar I get a little faster service than at a table, but not with this guy.  My first three choices from the cask menu were out (ha had to check with a server to find this out on each request) so I decided to get a sampler of 4 small glasses.  20 minutes later and he only had three of the four.  I think he was stoned or hung over or otherwise unable to remember simple tasks, like glance at a customer on occasion.
My favorite pub in Manhattan is Blind Tiger in the W. Village.
Philly has too many favorite pubs.  What a great beer town.
(Quoting my own post here as a follow-up). I had lunch and a few beers at Rattle and Hum today in NYC.  Service was polite and prompt and the beer and food were excellent.  There was only one cask available, a Belgian Quad, I think, but I opted for some other draughts.  A very good experience this time.  My first visit there was when they were only just opened and now 3 years later, they have their act completely together.  My server was a certified Cicerone.
In Philly Saturday I had lunch and a flight of beers at Kraftwork in Fishtown.  The beer can chicken sandwich was awesome.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »
Glad it worked out for you, Jeff.  The locals gave it a strong recommendation and they couldn't have been nicer to me when I was there, so I'm glad you gave them a second chance.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nauimatt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 02:40:58 pm »
going to try my first ever batch of mead.