Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oatmeal- is it preferable to roast the oatmeal or use the preroasted oatmeal?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
 :D  Oatmeal- is it preferable to roast the oatmeal or use the preroasted oatmeal?  I'm going to start looking at doing an oatmeal stout , and in the past I have roasted the oatmeal in the oven, but I have also used preroasted in recipes before.  Has anybody Noticed a diffence between the methods.
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
I once entered an oatmeal stout into NHC and was told the beer didn't taste like an oatmeal cookie and I should toast the oats first.  (When I entered a beer that tasted exactly like an oatmeal cookie--using spices--the judges told me it tasted too much like an oatmeal cookie.)

FWIW, I always toast my oats.  It does add a slight nuttiness that I like.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
I used pre-toasted oats (can't remember the brand) once in my stout and honestly couldn't tell the difference from batches where I used plain old (untoasted) Quaker Oats.  I do want to get much better at toasting my own oats so I'll hopefully get more of the flavor.
Joe

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
This is really interesting. I never thought of toasting oats before. I've always just added them straight to the mash.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Jamil says you'll get some creaminess from untoasted oats, but no flavor, and judges tend to look for the nutty flavor you get from toasting. I toasted oats once and liked it, but haven't tried untoasted. I have used untoasted oats in a wit and there was definately no oat flavor.

Warning - toast and let them cool or you'll screw up your mash temperature.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
i have not use oats at all but have been thinking of it. i thought i read somewhere that after toasting or roasting etc, you should let the grain sit  for several weeks?
Don AHA member

• Assistant Brewer
I once entered an oatmeal stout into NHC and was told the beer didn't taste like an oatmeal cookie and I should toast the oats first.  (When I entered a beer that tasted exactly like an oatmeal cookie--using spices--the judges told me it tasted too much like an oatmeal cookie.)

FWIW, I always toast my oats.  It does add a slight nuttiness that I like.

Sometime you just can't win, it's hard to predict what some judges look for in certain styles.  I'm trying to get BJCP certified and hopefully get better understanding of what judge are most commonly looking for in the different styles.

On Tap
HomeBrews
English Mild

Commercial Favorites
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Jamil says you'll get some creaminess from untoasted oats, but no flavor

I'd agree with that. As for what judges want, I'm frequently surprised. I've had some really off-the-wall judges comments.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
i thought i read somewhere that after toasting or roasting etc, you should let the grain sit  for several weeks?

In How to Brew, Palmer suggests storing home toasted malt in a paper bag for 2 weeks before use to "allow time for the harsher aromatics to escape." 

I think he's talking more about toasting barley malt though.  My own personal experience suggests that it's not an issue with home toasted flaked oats.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
I think Palmer's advice is good for darker 'roasted' grains. The black malt I make I let sit for 3-4 weeks in a paper bag before I use or transfer to ziplocks. It makes a difference. I haven't noticed a difference on my lighter 'toasted' grains.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Jamil says you'll get some creaminess from untoasted oats, but no flavor

I'd agree with that. As for what judges want, I'm frequently surprised. I've had some really off-the-wall judges comments.

In what percentage?  Try 20% oats.  You can certainly taste them.  Quaker Old-Fashioned Oats.  Yup.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
In what percentage?  Try 20% oats.  You can certainly taste them.  Quaker Old-Fashioned Oats.  Yup.

I've never used over 10%, and I've only ever done cereal mashes with oat groats. I've never used the "instant" kind or flakes. At 10% groats I get a slickness not present in my "regular" stouts.

• Assistant Brewer
I should be starting the Oatmeal Stout soon, and I'll let you know what my findings and methods are with the Oatmeal I use.

On Tap
HomeBrews
English Mild

Commercial Favorites