Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jerky  (Read 9115 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Jerky
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:26 am »
Anybody like to make their own meat jerky?
Maybe you could post up your technique and recipe? 8)

I have some elk in the freezer I am thinking of using.

Thanks.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Jerky
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »
I do!

The meat should be semi-frozen and then sliced easily with a sharp knife. Shoot for 1/4" slices. Don't worry that's not too thick. The elk ought to be nice since it should be pretty lean. Some fat is ok and I've used trimmed brisket flat before- it makes excellent jerky. Some advise using tenderloin or round roast. That is just crazy expensive.

The flavoring can be as simple as salt and pepper but I like to use diluted soy-sauce along with various spices. Can be whatever you want but I try to shoot for salty/spicy with a hint of sweetness. The meat is marinated for at least an hour (overnight is better) and it goes into the dehydrator for at least 24 hours. The meat and favors will be concentrated. I've never over-spiced jerky but am sure it could happen so bear this in mind when applying flavors.

Store in ziplock bags in the fridge.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »
ditto on the frozen. the other option is that some markets will slice your meat for you which is very nice.  i used to buy any inexpensive cut of roast.  slice it thicker than what you think is right.  1/4 is right on.   then it is hard too goof it up.  i usually soak it a few days in something with worscestire or soy.  various spices.  just depends on what flavors. hard to overdo. then throw it on the dehydrator. yummmmmm
Don AHA member

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:33:06 pm »
That sounds really easy.
Thanks for the responses.

So it only takes about 24 hours in the dryer then?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »
If you can find it Claude's fajita sauce(I think) makes excellent jerky marinade.  I usually slice mine thinner than 1/4" though.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline classic

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:57:50 pm »
Teriyaki sauce is a great marinade that I use a lot for my jerky. I also like mixing Worstershire and soy sauce. It is hard to overseason but beware of making it too salty, although it does help from a preserving standpoint, I guess.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »
At least 24. It'll change appearance and you'll figure out how you like it. I do it on the highest setting for an hour or so and then turn it all the way down to dry and not necessarily cook the meat. Learned to do this early on as the meat was obviously more on the "cooked" side when I followed the directions that came with the unit.

BTW to those interested the oven isn't really all that great at making jerky. Results are extremely poor. An actual dehydrator is the way to go. Inexpensive models available at walmart like this one:

Peppers I tossed in earlier today.

Jerky is only an aspect of have a dehydrator. The fresher the better but I've avoided throwing veggies and herbs out by having this nifty device. One thing- celery takes about a week to dry out and re-hydrated is similar to rubber-bands. :-X
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 06:10:07 pm »
I thin sliced about half the onions from m garden and got about a quart of fried onion flakes.  They,re great in soups and boiled veggies..
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 06:49:17 pm »
Love jerky.

I've been wanting to make my own jerky for years now. I just need a dehydrater. I might have to make a trip to Walmart very soon.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:47:28 am »
What's the principle behind a dehydrator? Isn't it just running warmish air over something at a constant rate? If so, I wonder if my oven would work, because it has something that seems to be a dehydrator function (a symbol of a fan with a little water droplet).

Otherwise, while a dehydrator doesn't seem that expensive, 50 euros is a lot to spend for something that I won't use very often. Can I use the hop dryer featured in the recent BYO gadget issue? That way I have something to dry hops AND make jerky/dried mushrooms.

Not to fork the thread, but are the principles for sun-dried tomatoes the same as for jerky?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:19:20 am »
i had way too many tomatoes a few years ago and threw them on my dehydrator just like i do my jerky. packed them and tossed them in to soups and such.
Don AHA member

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 08:00:55 am »
You could also try Alton Brown's method. He puts the meat on furnace filters and bungies those to the front side of a box fan and turns in out and leaves it for a few days. The curing of the meat in a salty solution will drive off any harmful bacteria that would have been present in the meat.

That's the theory anyways....
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 11:58:17 am »
What's the principle behind a dehydrator? Isn't it just running warmish air over something at a constant rate? If so, I wonder if my oven would work, because it has something that seems to be a dehydrator function (a symbol of a fan with a little water droplet).

Otherwise, while a dehydrator doesn't seem that expensive, 50 euros is a lot to spend for something that I won't use very often. Can I use the hop dryer featured in the recent BYO gadget issue? That way I have something to dry hops AND make jerky/dried mushrooms.

Not to fork the thread, but are the principles for sun-dried tomatoes the same as for jerky?

The oven has a dehydrator feature? Give it a try. Ouch 50 euros!? The Nesco is $39 at walmart. That's up in price from 5 years ago. You probably could make one with a box, some racks and a small heater fan. ???

For tomatoes just half or quarter them before they get dehydrated. Same principle as jerky.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 11:15:38 pm »
Pinnah,
I saw this a bit late but none the less, here is THE thing
Trim all fat from your meat and grind it up like a burger. Season it with
your choice of  flavors from Hi Mountain Seasonings (the triangle box)

Get a jerky shooter gun and follow the destructions.  Seemed like there
was something about mixing in tiny chunks of ice too....
Get a dehydrator like Euge shows in his post and go to town...
That seasoning will yeild you some jerky that is better than the commercial
espensive stuff.
 Hint pre spray the dehydrator racks with pam...it is a bizatch to clean up...
I have come to like the round squeezed shape because it is more moist and tender
than the flat squeezed chewey shape....

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:44:03 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:38 pm »
Tom Schmidlin