Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition letdown  (Read 14018 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Competition letdown
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2011, 01:19:33 pm »
  However, for me his score assigned and comments are a bit disconnected - I usually would only assign a 3/20 for flavor if it was just awful and infected etc.

This is what I mean, words don't seem to match the score. At the very least pick at the worst flaw and give some advice on corrective measures maybe?

I tend to agree...either the judge was being a bit kind in the description of what he/she was experiencing, or the scores seem a bit harsh for the words used to describe the beer.  Then again what do I know. 

I've never actually been able to give a 13.  Each time I tried (there have only been a few occasions) the other judge disagreed so much that I ended up coming up to 15-16 to get our scores within a reasonable range.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »
I think the comments about "musty", coupled with the note about sanitation are the only needed indications of what was wrong.
To me, that screams "Bad bottle/sample".

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2011, 05:17:47 pm »
Obvious to you, but what if this is a new brewer - they might not be able to put two and two together like you just did. Not to get on a soap box but I think sometimes it's easy for a judge to wax poetic on a score sheet for a 45 point beer, but it's the 13's that need extra feedback.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:06 pm »
Been there myself. Personally, I liked both beers I submitted and then took samples to my brew club. They liked them too, and through discussion, we concluded that I may have submitted a contaminated bottle. So, guess what? I cleaned up my sanitation practices. I think you can learn a lot from submitting to competitions. (Some of them, anyway.)

If you're curious, here's a blog post that explains more: http://www.brewsreporter.com/a-case-for-competition/
Primary: Grapefruit IPA
Secondary: Berliner Weisse

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2011, 12:15:25 pm »
Just my opinion,  I don't think that is a very good score sheet for feedback. 

I dunno...seems pretty good to me.

It's not bad but, you grade exams, what would you score that for feedback and completeness? I'm thinking closer to certified level than master level. Not every master judge is going to produce 100% scoresheets that would grade at the master level but I don't think this represents (or I hope it doesn't) the best effort from a highly ranked judge.

It's not horrible and not worth a nasty email or anything, but it isn't particularly good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2011, 12:48:27 pm »
Just my opinion,  I don't think that is a very good score sheet for feedback. 

I dunno...seems pretty good to me.

It's not bad but, you grade exams, what would you score that for feedback and completeness? I'm thinking closer to certified level than master level. Not every master judge is going to produce 100% scoresheets that would grade at the master level but I don't think this represents (or I hope it doesn't) the best effort from a highly ranked judge.

It's not horrible and not worth a nasty email or anything, but it isn't particularly good.

I agree with you, which is why I said "pretty good" and not "excellent".  I guess I'd score it at the low National level.  As to why someone ranked Master wrote it, I'll defer without having more knowledge of the situation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:30 pm »
Hey thanks for all the advice!! I really think it was just some sort of  bottle contamination. The rest of the keg tastes fine.  At least I found out today that my Persimmon Mead got 1st in the Mead category!

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2011, 01:00:16 pm »
At least I found out today that my Persimmon Mead got 1st in the Mead category!

Congrats!
Joe

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2011, 03:02:43 pm »
Hey thanks for all the advice!! I really think it was just some sort of  bottle contamination. The rest of the keg tastes fine.  At least I found out today that my Persimmon Mead got 1st in the Mead category!

Congrats.  ;D

I've only entered 2 competitions. Neither of them were BJCP. The 1st one I did ok. Both were liked, but not well enough to place. The other comp, I entered 7 meads. The one that I felt was the worst batch that I had brewed to that point was picked as the overall winner for the competition. (It was also the only dry mead I had. The others ranged from medium sweet to sweet)