General Category > All Grain Brewing

Double pass milling

(1/4) > >>

Jeff Renner:
The thread on wet conditioning malt suggests that I offer another way to improve your crush and efficiency - double milling.  I have a motorized original adjustable JSP MaltMill (the original originals were non-adjustable because Jack though it was unnecessary to be able to adjust the gap, but he succumbed to pressure ;) ).

Anyway, I mill my grain at the wide open gap for the first pass, which breaks open the grains, then remill at the tightest gap, which doesn't affect the husks but makes nice, small pieces of endosperm with a minimum of flour.

I picked up this tip on HomeBrew Digest many years ago, and my efficiency jumped a few points, and I never (knock on wood) get stuck runoffs.

Jeff

Kaiser:
Many multi roller mills work that way although they tend to have means of sifting out the husks after the first pair of rolls and then only crush the gits finer.

My concern with that approach would be that I would constantly have to readjust my mill. I do that fairly frequently anyway but just because I want to get a better idea of the differences that various mill gap settings make.

I’m so glad I bought the adjustable JSP Maltmill. I was contemplating the non adjustable model after reading Jack’s justification why you are fine with just the standard setting. But now that I have much better insight into how crushing affects efficiency and lauter speed I think that his standard gap (45 mil or 1.14 mm) is too wide for good conversion in single infusion mashing. Brewer’s have different systems and a crush that works well with one system may not be the best for another system. If you are in the market for a malt mill spend the extra money and get an adjustable one (both sides) you’ll be much happier with it.

Kai

yeastmaster:

--- Quote from: Jeff Renner on January 06, 2010, 08:04:30 AM ---The thread on wet conditioning malt suggests that I offer another way to improve your crush and efficiency - double milling.  I have a motorized original adjustable JSP MaltMill (the original originals were non-adjustable because Jack though it was unnecessary to be able to adjust the gap, but he succumbed to pressure ;) ).

Anyway, I mill my grain at the wide open gap for the first pass, which breaks open the grains, then remill at the tightest gap, which doesn't affect the husks but makes nice, small pieces of endosperm with a minimum of flour.

I picked up this tip on HomeBrew Digest many years ago, and my efficiency jumped a few points, and I never (knock on wood) get stuck runoffs.

Jeff

--- End quote ---

The 3 roller monster mills seem to be set up to do what you are doing with a single pass.  They sound pretty nice.  That being said my 2 roller mill does a good job and I have no need to replace it....

denny:
I don't know what I'm doing right (that's a new one for me!), but I have same mill as Jeff does.  I tightened the gap as closed as I could get it, then opened it up until I could just barely see the rollers move.  It's been there ever since.  I average 85% efficiency, I've never had a stuck runoff, and I have no issues with astringency from the husks.  It just seem too easy!

BTW, Jeff, don't you miss those Schmidling/Listermann "debates" that used to happen on rcb???  ;)

Jeff Renner:
Denny - before double milling, I set the gap so that a dime would just roll through, but not drop through.  No idea what that was, but it was someone's recommendation.  Double milling improved on that.

r.c.b - those were the days!  I know that Dan Listermann is still around and active.  I wonder about Jack Schmidling.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version