Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is dark candi syrup gluten free  (Read 1602 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Is dark candi syrup gluten free
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »
I'm about to brew a gluten free beer for a friend.  All the recipes for dark GF beers call for dark candi sugar for coloring, but I have a bunch of the dark candi syrup and would rather use that.  It has more flavor and seems like it would do a better job of giving the beer some color.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Is dark candi syrup gluten free
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »
I would think so. It's made from beet sugar I think. but I don't know.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:25 am »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't contain any. Any protein in it would be denatured or burned in the caramelization process too, I believe. Very high temperatures.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:21:47 pm »
I've been doing a lot of research about candi syrups, and commercial caramel syrups in general. The bad news is something I've come across on the FDA website about "process aids" not needing to be disclosed. Sugar by itself can't darken the way those syrups do. Maillard reactions need a nitrogen source and a reducing sugar. Since the nitrogen is consumed, and the acids, bases, and (usually) ammonium compounds used to make the syrup are "process aids" they don't have to list them on their ingredients.

But I haven't come across anything in my research to suggest they use gluten in their process, although it would certainly serve as a nitrogen source and probably could be used.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.