Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Freezer for a Keezer  (Read 3504 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Freezer for a Keezer
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:44 am »
Looking into building a keeper sometime soon.  I am hoping for a 4 corny keg setup with room in the keezer for a 10lb CO2 tank.  A bonus would be extra room to lager a primary 6 gallon carboy possibly at the expense of one or two kegs at times.  Any recs on size/model/brand of freezer to look into?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Freezer for a Keezer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 09:13:07 am »
A 7.2 cu ft chest freezer will fit 4 cornies and probably the co2 tank on the hump ( I have a 5lb tank so I don't know about the 10 lb one ).

If you want room for a carboy as well, I'd say go with a 14 cu ft chest freezer.  Should be plenty of room.  I know there are some 9 cu ft ones too.  Homebrewtalk has a thread on their forum regarding sizing your chest freezer.  They suggest making cardboard circles of the kegs ( and carboy  in your case ), taking them to the store, and placing them in the chest freezer to see how they will fit.

My chest freezer is a GE, and it is running great so far.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »
I have a 15.4 cu ft chest freezer, and my options are 2x 3gal cornies on the hump plus;
    a)  8x 1/6 barrel / cornies
    b)  4x 1/6 barrel + 1x 1/2 barrel
    c)  2x 1/6 barrel + 2x 1/2 barrel
I'd say a 6.5gal carboy or a bucket will take up a footprint not much smaller than a 1/2 barrel.  If you lager in a keg (albeit that's 5 gallons) you use less space, and then you can just carb it afterwards.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:39:21 pm »
An excellent point.  To lager in a corny do you need a special adapter to allow the co2 to escape from the corny?  I'll be new to kegging

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:23:39 pm »
You can lager under pressure so no need for the CO2 to escape.  My usual SOP for lagers is after the primary fermentation and D-rest, if necessary, cold crash the beer for a few days in the carboy and then rack into the keg.  Then I carb it up and let it lager.
Clint
Wort Hogs