Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 Questions about water to grist ratio and grain absorption  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
2 Questions about water to grist ratio and grain absorption
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:25 am »
First question:
I have a RIMS and I am trying to figure out what the correct water to grist ratio should be. Lets say I am using 10lbs. of grain. If the recipe calls for 1qt. per lb., I figure 10 qts. plus an additional 6 quarts to make up the dead space under the false bottom and RIMS plumbing. So, my water to grist ratio would be 1.6 quarts PPPG. Thus, 20 lbs. grain would be (20x1)+6=26qts or1.3qts. PPPG. Am I figuring this correctly? And if so do I use the corrected ratio (in this case 1.6 or 1.3 respectivly) for determining my strike temp?

Second question:
I am using a grain absorption rate of .13 gallon per lb. of grain. Is this a static amount? And since I am brewing 5-10 gallon batches, do the above rates change enough to require alteration?

Thank you for your help. Pi
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: 2 Questions about water to grist ratio and grain absorption
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:43:08 pm »
I believe you're correct since the mash ratio has to do with enzyme concentration and the enzymes would be distributed through the entire volume of water. And yes, use the full volume to calculate strike temperature.

I think the absorption rates are close enough to static. It probably changes for different grains though, but I don't know how much.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 2 Questions about water to grist ratio and grain absorption
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:00 pm »
If the recipe calls for 1.0 qt/lb and you want to follow the recipe, you'd just use 10qt and not extra for dead space.  I don't usually mash at such a low ratio though, and the results seem to be pretty similar in the 1-2+ qt/lb range.  I actually mash up to 3qt/lb and with a little extra time everything converts nicely.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO