Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain storage  (Read 411 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Grain storage
« on: September 22, 2023, 03:06:16 pm »
On my last batch I had quite a bit of Pilsner malt left over and I hate to just throw it out.  It is unmilled so I am guessing it will last a bit longer.  My wife has a vacuum sealing machine and I have some grain I have been storing in my closet now for about a year.  My question is, are the grains in the closet still ok after being vacuum sealed and stored in a dark place for a year?  With my new grains, how long do they generally last using the vacuum sealer?  How long would they be good if I just used the seal bag they game in and try and squeeze as much air as I can.  In either case, they would most likely be stored in the closet as I have read storing them cold presents issues of loss during defrosting.  Any input is welcomed.  Thanks   

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain storage
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 04:20:06 pm »
I imagine the farmer stores grain in silos for as long as it takes to get the highest price, then it is stored at the maltster in silos until the production cycle is ready for it, then it is stored in 50 lb sacks or silos until it is sold to wholesalers or big brewers by the rail car, and then it is stored in 50 lb or smaller sacks until it is sold by retailers. I imagine storing it under vacuum in a home brewer’s climate controlled home is the best it’s been treated in its entire existence. IOW, it’s fine kept at room temp, dark, and dry.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 04:23:17 pm by BrewBama »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Grain storage
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 05:00:23 pm »
I imagine the farmer stores grain in silos for as long as it takes to get the highest price, then it is stored at the maltster in silos until the production cycle is ready for it, then it is stored in 50 lb sacks or silos until it is sold to wholesalers or big brewers by the rail car, and then it is stored in 50 lb or smaller sacks until it is sold by retailers. I imagine storing it under vacuum in a home brewer’s climate controlled home is the best it’s been treated in its entire existence. IOW, it’s fine kept at room temp, dark, and dry.

Nice summary.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 08:58:23 am »
Dark won't make much difference, but cool (not cold) and especially dry will.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 02:39:48 pm »

lol. very true. and people can consider this about a lot of products as well.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 06:36:31 am »
FWIW, I just finished off a sack of Avangard Pilsner Malt that I had laying around for a while. I just checked to see how long it had lasted, and I was surprised to see that it was bought in 2014. It was stored in my basement the whole time, in the original sack. I don't know if I would notice a flavor difference if I tasted a beer from the fresh sack side-by-side with the 9-year old sack, but the beers I've brewed with it recently still taste good without any discernible off flavors. I always taste test a couple of kernels before I mill, and take a good smell after milling to confirm that my malt is in good shape.

I'm not recommending that anyone plans to store malt for a decade, but at least in my cool/dry New England basement it seems to store extremely well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer