Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner Malt Extract Yield: Best Malz vs. Weyermann  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Pilsner Malt Extract Yield: Best Malz vs. Weyermann
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:12:05 am »
I just picked up a 55 lb bag of Best Malz Pilsen malt.  I'll be using the BMP for the first time in a Helles this weekend.  According to the ingredient data in BeerTools Pro, it looks like BMP has a slightly lower extract yield than Weyermann.  There's not a very significant difference, but enough to make me want to ask some of you guys who have used BMP for awhile if you've noticed this.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:15:55 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Pilsner Malt Extract Yield: Best Malz vs. Weyermann
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:53:28 am »
I just picked up a 55 lb bag of Best Malz Pilsen malt.  I'll be using the BMP for the first time in a Helles this weekend.  According to the ingredient data in BeerTools Pro, it looks like BMP has a slightly lower extract yield than Weyermann.  There's not a very significant difference, but enough to make me want to ask some of you guys who have used BMP for awhile if you've noticed this.

B.S.

If anything I've noticed higher yield from Best than Weyermann (and Iuse both interchangeably - Wey if my LHBS is doing a group buy, Best all the other times).  IIRC, the dry % on most lots I've gotten is 81%+, which puts your extract yield between 1.037 and 1.038.  I save a lot of the lot analysis tickets from Best, I'll check it if you really want, but 37.5 is a good number IMO.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:51:07 am »

B.S.

If anything I've noticed higher yield from Best than Weyermann (and Iuse both interchangeably - Wey if my LHBS is doing a group buy, Best all the other times).  IIRC, the dry % on most lots I've gotten is 81%+, which puts your extract yield between 1.037 and 1.038.  I save a lot of the lot analysis tickets from Best, I'll check it if you really want, but 37.5 is a good number IMO.

Thanks for that info, Paul!  I think I'll use the same extract figure as I use for Weyermann as a place to start. If I notice a higher yield, I'll change the number. Unfortunately, this bag of BMP did not come with a data sheet. I asked NB if they had one, but they said "Best Malz doesn't come with a data sheet." :/ Based on your post, I'm thinking someone was just being lazy.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:02:33 am »
Based on your post, I'm thinking someone was just being lazy.

Could be - but maybe NB doesn't get them (or ask for them) - I've always bought Best from NCM and they provide it in the packing slip.

I can scan one and email to you as an example if you're geeky for the info, though of course it won't be from your specific lot.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:58:49 am »
Like Paul, I think I get a bit higher yield from Best that I do from Weyermann.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:21:46 am »
I've used both with mixed results but I've been using Best as of lately (on my fourth consecutive sack) and find it to be my favorite. Lately (last several batches) I've gotten good conversion and mash efficiency with Best. About 75-80% (single infusion mash) without a mashout.
Ron Price

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 10:26:50 am »
I get the same extract from both. I use 39 ppg and get my average 85% from single infusion mash, decoctions are a little higher.

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 01:07:53 pm »
Thanks for all the feeback!  I'm brewing tomorrow.  I'll post my results if anyone is interested (although it sounds like you guys have already compared these malts).
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 08:39:55 pm »
Also to my experience Best Pilsner has an better extract then Weyermenn Pilsner.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:12:20 am »
On brewday, I discovered I had a few extra pounds of Weyermann Pils left.  So, I ended up doing a 50/50 blend of Weyermann and Best Malz for the Helles.  The numbers were exactly the same as a 100% Weyermann pils Helles.  Even though I didn't use the Best exclusively, it seems that whatever extract difference exists between the two malts is pretty negligible.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial