Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First brewing-related injury  (Read 3650 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
First brewing-related injury
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:02 am »
A few days ago I was making a starter and needed to split it into 2 small batches since my main flask wasnt big enough. after they were both done boiling i went to pour the smaller flask into the larger one. I was using a towel to hold the flask, lifted to pour when it boiled over onto my hand. I didn't want to drop the glass flask on the floor so i held it and put it down.

Its a few days later and I still have some blisters but its healing. My first injury making beer in over 13 years.

stupid stupid stupid.

I asked for brewing gloves for xmas. don't let this happen to you, be careful!

Tonyp
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: First brewing-related injury
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 11:04:14 am »
Wow...hope you feel better.  Just think of what a shattering flask full of hot starter wort would have done.

I envision my brew house injury to be lifting related...maybe I'll make a case for a brewing sculpture with the wife.  ::)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:16:00 am »
My worst brewing injury was from slaked lime I was using for pH adjustment. I got some of the powder on my hand and didn't notice right away. It turned red and hurt for a week or so. My hand is still numb in that spot, and that was like 2 months ago. Needless to say, I now wear gloves and goggles when I handle lime.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:59:27 am »
I've burned myself but not badly. And the lifting is kept to a minimum now.

I think Denny nearly set himself on fire one time. But he'll have to tell you about that one... 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:08:02 pm »
It is best to place the receiving vessel on the counter when pouring a solution from one vessel to another.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

jaybeerman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:14:24 pm »
Haha, as long as no one gets seriously hurt it's always fun to exchange brewing injury stories.

Way, way back when I had just started brewing - I chilled my wort in a utility sink that was in a small janitor’s closet.  My wife bought me an immersion chiller as a birthday (?) gift and we decided to put together a quick weekend brew just to see how well it worked.  It was a hot summer day and I was shirtless.  Once we wrapped up the boil I carried the kettle into the closet and set it in the sink.  We hooked up the supply side hose and realized that I forgot to buy a hose for the exit side of the chiller.  No problem I said let’s just crack open the faucet and let the cold water trickle through and then I'll deflect the water into the sink when it starts flowing through.  Here's the Darwin award part - the cold trickle of water hit the hot copper and instantly vaporized, shooting (like a CANON) a burning hot steam spray directly to the center of my bare chest.  Of course being inside the tiny closet it took me way too long to get out of the spray and to get the faucet turned off.  So I was screaming like a little girl while my wife was on the ground lmfao.  I laugh now.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:45:31 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline punatic

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »
A classic lesson in thermodynamics!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »
I've burned myself but not badly. And the lifting is kept to a minimum now.

I think Denny nearly set himself on fire one time. But he'll have to tell you about that one... 8)
Are you sure that had to do with brewing?
Brew on

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:43 pm »
when building my brewstand, the angle grinder kicked up and landed on my forearm, taking a chunk of flesh with it.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »
when building my brewstand, the angle grinder kicked up and landed on my forearm, taking a chunk of flesh with it.

I've always said that when building something there must be a blood sacrifice... ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:47 pm »
A classic lesson in thermodynamics!

indeed.  now i prefer less interactive lessons and just read about it

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:54:56 pm »
Haha, as long as no one gets seriously hurt it's always fun to exchange brewing injury stories.

Way, way back when I had just started brewing - I chilled my wort in a utility sink that was in a small janitor’s closet.  My wife bought me an immersion chiller as a birthday (?) gift and we decided to put together a quick weekend brew just to see how well it worked.  It was a hot summer day and I was shirtless.  Once we wrapped up the boil I carried the kettle into the closet and set it in the sink.  We hooked up the supply side hose and realized that I forgot to buy a hose for the exit side of the chiller.  No problem I said let’s just crack open the faucet and let the cold water trickle through and then I'll deflect the water into the sink when it starts flowing through.  Here's the Darwin award part - the cold trickle of water hit the hot copper and instantly vaporized, shooting (like a CANON) a burning hot steam spray directly to the center of my bare chest.  Of course being inside the tiny closet it took me way too long to get out of the spray and to get the faucet turned off.  So I was screaming like a little girl while my wife was on the ground lmfao.  I laugh now.

I did something similar.  I put my immersion chiller in the hot wort and it still had a little bit of water in it from the last brew.  As it got super heated, it started burping hot boiling water out of the chiller (which didn't have the hoses on it).  As I approached the stove it spit up a good cup of boiling water on my chest.  Man! that smarts.  The burn hurt like hell and I only got one blister.  Needless to say, I now always put the hoses on the chiller before I put it in the boiling wort.  The outcome is currently on tap: Chest Burn IPA.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 01:42:52 pm »
I have heard several pro brewers say the same thing:
"There are two kinds of brewers. Those who have been burned, and those who are going to be burned."
I am in the former category.

Offline fightdman

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 02:19:27 pm »
I've always said that when building something there must be a blood sacrifice... ;D

+1 Scars are nature's scrapbook.  Ahh, the memories...
GAVDIVM MIHI VAE TIBI

Offline punatic

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 02:23:29 pm »

+1 Scars are nature's scrapbook.  Ahh, the memories...

"Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real."
Hannibal Lecter

AHA Life Member #33907