Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So, how long to do a 5 gallon all-grain batch?  (Read 11185 times)

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
Re: So, how long to do a 5 gallon all-grain batch?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 04:53:21 pm »
Yeah I like to take all day doing it, say dough in around 10.  Finish clean up by 6.

There are little short cuts you can take, batch sparging is one.  Any chance you can take to heat anything that has to be hot should be taken.  I don't do a real mash out, I just light my flame under my 1st runnings, keep it low but generally they are 180-190 when I'm starting to run out my sparge, So part of the volume is closer to a boil.

Of course that being said, I generally step mash and take my good time where I can, its my day off.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 05:13:00 pm »
Hello, my name is Jeff and I mainly do fly sparges and 10 gallon batches.

My minimum time was 4.5 hours, but that did not include set up the night before , which is an hour.  The maximum time was 10.5 hoiurs for a Bo-Pils, and I had set up the night before.  Just saying that if you change process, you can lengthen the time (double decoction, long boil, chill to 40F all add to the time).

For 5 gallons I could knock off some time as it would take less to heat and cool.

For Denny - I will do more batch sparges in the future.  I need to try the braid to get a better flow rate vs. the false bottom in the old round cooler I have.  My efficiencies have roughly been the same batch vs. fly.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 09:25:27 am »
For Denny - I will do more batch sparges in the future.  I need to try the braid to get a better flow rate vs. the false bottom in the old round cooler I have.  My efficiencies have roughly been the same batch vs. fly.

Jeff, my experience is that if you have a good fly sparge system, your efficiency will be pretty much equal between the 2.  And just to be certain you understand, a fast runoff is an advantage, not a requirement, for batch sparging.  But my informal testing does seem to indicate that you can get clearer, more trouble free runoffs with a braid than a false bottom.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:18 am »

Jeff, my experience is that if you have a good fly sparge system, your efficiency will be pretty much equal between the 2.  And just to be certain you understand, a fast runoff is an advantage, not a requirement, for batch sparging.  But my informal testing does seem to indicate that you can get clearer, more trouble free runoffs with a braid than a false bottom.

The reason I have been playing around with the barch sparging is to see if I can take time out of the brew day.  Advantage -yes.

On my pico system, I can get very clear runoffs.  That false bottom fits tight to the keg sides, so once you vorlauf and set the grain bed, it is very clear.   

One other reason I have been playing with the old round cooler, is that with the 2 mash tuns, I oculd have a combined 100 quarts of space.  That way I could make a 10 gallon batch of beer that would be in Fred's OG range.   ;D   
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:04 am »
That way I could make a 10 gallon batch of beer that would be in Fred's OG range.   ;D   

Keeping up with the Bonjours, huh?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:36 am »
That way I could make a 10 gallon batch of beer that would be in Fred's OG range.   ;D   

Keeping up with the Bonjours, huh?  ;)

Of the several he belongs to, my club is one, so - yes.

Been thinking of a Thomas Hardy type beer for a while.  Might as well do a 10 gallon batch to see how it ages.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 11:32:16 am »
Been thinking of a Thomas Hardy type beer for a while.  Might as well do a 10 gallon batch to see how it ages.
;D ;D ;D
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 08:56:50 am »
Set up to cleanup takes me 7 hours every single time. And I really don't see what I can cut to make it any faster.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS