Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cornies as fermenters?  (Read 5688 times)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Cornies as fermenters?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 03:11:06 pm »
I am not sure you want to trust the CO2 "In" port to be your blow off tube--it might get clogged.
You definitely want to check and make sure it is bubbling and doesn't suddenly stop, but at least the keg can handle the pressure.  I would remove the poppet and take the stem/spring out of the fitting to keep things flowing better.
I've been fermenting in cornies for years using just the gas-in QD and a hose as the airlock and never had any get clogged.
YMMV
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:16:39 pm by tom »
Brew on

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 03:29:50 pm »
There's more than one way to do it.

Via the Gas In QD:  http://www.midwestsupplies.com/keg-fermenter-kit.html

Via the Corny Lid:  http://www.homebrewing.org/Cornelious-Keg-Lid-for-Secondary-Fermenter_p_999.html

Personally, I prefer the second as if the airlock clogs and pressure builds, then it can still blow the stopper out once the pressure gets too high.  That's the theory anyway.  Hasn't happened yet.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 03:56:23 pm »
I don't use either of those, just the regular gas-in QD. No extra equipment needed.
Brew on

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:08:02 am »
Sounds like it'll be excellent for lagers and low- to medium-gravity ales, which is pretty much all I brew. The "new" keg should be here Friday so I'm gonna give it a shot and will report back on whether or not I blow a poppet.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!