Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hops for a porter  (Read 4339 times)

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
Re: hops for a porter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 10:30:05 am »
Totally depends on how much hop character you want in the Porter - eathier, English-type hops are traditional, but with a style who's bitterness is low and lots of roast malt character, I don't think hop choice makes a huge impact (again depending on your tastes\goals).

I've made Porters (including my currently fermenting one) with Columbus without much hop character coming through at ~25 IBUs - at least nothing that would make some one say: 'Hey, there's high alpha American hops in this!"

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 12:50:25 am »
My porter relies on a combo of CTZ to bitter and Willamette at 15 min, but I imagine Nugget, Glacier, Mt. Hood, Goldings, or other "noble/English type" hop would work well late in the boil. I actually like to have some perceptible hop quality in my porter, but I am not into getting a citrusy/fruity C-hop flavor competing with the roasty cocoa thing I get from the malt bill... so I would really keep it to neutral hops for the late additions... for my palate, anyway.

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »
thanks for all the feedback.  I've been using chinook and wiilamette.  and a touch of cascade in the last batch.  it's a wheat based porter(forgot to mention that. sorry), so not very traditional. I'm just really experimenting to find something i like a whole lot with this recipe.  i tried one at my learn to brew class about a year and a half ago and really liked it.  i was given a recipe for the wheat porter i tasted and liked it so i thought id play around.  i think the next batch i might try a little ahtanum. 

probably should have given these details first thing.  not sure why i didn't. 

anyway, any new thoughts on the matter? 

also, still just lme/partial mash full volume brewing as my current time and space allow. 
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »
So I assume your wheat comes in the form of DME? That's how I would do it if I were doing partial mash for a porter. Actually, IMO, a Porter is probably the best style for extract brewing, as chocolate malt, crystal malt, and black malt (or my preference, Carafa Special II) all steep well, and the residual sugars left over from the extract isn't so offensive in a porter. If I were doing a partial mash, though, I wouldn't bother with this style, as there are no real "must mash" malts that I put in my porters (though I know many people do put Munich malt in their porters, I do not). And wheat malt can be a PITA to mash with in a tiny system, IMO.