Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blond Ale using S05 - Secondary Champagne Yeast?  (Read 4217 times)

Offline oledge

• 1st Kit
  • Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends
Blond Ale using S05 - Secondary Champagne Yeast?
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:52:04 pm »
I have a light blonde ale going that had an original gravity of 1.056 and it is now in the secondary at 1.018.  It has only been in the secondary for a couple of days.  I am considering splitting the secondary into two and adding Red Star Champagne yeast.  My thoughts are that it will make a dry, crisp tasting beer with slightly higher alcohol content.  Anyone every try Champagne yeast in a low alcohol beer?  Any thoughts on how this might come out?
Currently on Tap:  Yellow Jacket Ale
Secondary:  Blonde Ambition
Primary:  Un-named Brown Ale, A Tasty Gingerman

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Blond Ale using S05 - Secondary Champagne Yeast?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 04:26:25 pm »
From all I have heard/read champagne yeast in beer is a bad idea flavor wise
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:49 am »
From all I have heard/read champagne yeast in beer is a bad idea flavor wise

That's been my experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:49:21 am »
How long was the beer in primary?

Unless you used an un-healthy yeast then the beer is probably done

All-grain or extract?

Fast ferment test is worth doing, this will tell you what your FG will be
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline oledge

• 1st Kit
  • Brewed and Enjoyed with Friends
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:06:42 pm »
Thanks for the input.  It was an all grain mash and it is now 8 days in (4 in primary).  I haven't taken a final yet, but there is no action what so ever.  I think I will just continue to let it clear a few days and keg it like it is.  It was just a whim that I had because we had some left over yeast from making root beer.
Currently on Tap:  Yellow Jacket Ale
Secondary:  Blonde Ambition
Primary:  Un-named Brown Ale, A Tasty Gingerman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:25:06 am »
My thoughts are that it will make a dry, crisp tasting beer with slightly higher alcohol content.  Anyone every try Champagne yeast in a low alcohol beer?  Any thoughts on how this might come out?

The idea that champagne yeast is higher attenuative than something like US-05 is a total misnomer. If anything, wine yeast is less adept at fermenting a maltose wort than a good ale yeast. Champagne yeast is good at tolerating higher alc. percentages, but it is not a super yeast. It won't eat more sugars than US-05 and can't chew on unfermentable dextrines any more than US-05 - maybe less.

It took me a long time to understand this - I tried to dry many a beer out with Champagne yeast with ZERO effects, several times.

Re: You unusually high FG for a blonde. Did you transfer the beer before it was finished fermenting? Or had it stalled when you transferred? Did you use a lot of crystal malt? Was this an extract brew? If you transferred early adding more yeast may help drive a few more points - I'd recommend pitching an active starter.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:27:24 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:29:58 am »
My thoughts are that it will make a dry, crisp tasting beer with slightly higher alcohol content.  Anyone every try Champagne yeast in a low alcohol beer?  Any thoughts on how this might come out?

The idea that champagne yeast is higher attenuative than something like US-05 is a total misnomer. If anything, wine yeast is less adept at fermenting a maltose wort than a good ale yeast. Champagne yeast is good at tolerating higher alc. percentages, but it is not a super yeast. It won't eat more sugars than US-05 and can't chew on unfermentable dextrines any more than US-05 - maybe less. Wine yeast has been bred to east Fructose and in the case of wine it is highly attenuative because the must is highly fermentable - ie: there really aren't any unfermentable sugars. Giving wine yeast a maltose wort is like giving your dog cat food. Yeah, it will eat it. But it wasn't really meant too.  ;)

It took me a long time to understand this - I tried to dry many a beer out with Champagne yeast with ZERO effects, several times.

Re: You unusually high FG for a blonde. Did you transfer the beer before it was finished fermenting? Or had it stalled when you transferred? Did you use a lot of crystal malt? Was this an extract brew? If you transferred early adding more yeast may help drive a few more points - I'd recommend pitching an active starter.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:49:53 am »
Thanks for the input.  It was an all grain mash and it is now 8 days in (4 in primary).  I haven't taken a final yet, but there is no action what so ever.  I think I will just continue to let it clear a few days and keg it like it is.  It was just a whim that I had because we had some left over yeast from making root beer.
[/quote

What temp are you fermenting at?
When was it brewed?
What was your mash temp?
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead