Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Airline surcharge....  (Read 5281 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: Airline surcharge....
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 12:56:22 am »
Ruben, that was awesome! That pilot should be given a raise. Oh, and sorry, I did not mean to come off as whining. I was just curious as to what the charge was for.
No worries, really. It is what I do for a living and let me tell you reading it does not do it justice. Listening to it whooee that grates the nerves...

A while back my wife and I were flying from Orlando to New Orleans.  As we taxied out to the end of the runway the flight attendant give the usual information over the PA.  Then just as we were about to accelerate down the runway she said,
"Ladies and gentleman we ask that you keep your arms and legs inside the aircraft because we are going to go REALLY fast now!"

For the life of me, I have always wanted to memorize the speech roller coaster operators
give before hitting the fire button. Just so I could to the same before boarding... ;D
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 02:01:20 am »
From a Southwest Airlines employee: "Welcome aboard Southwest Flight XXX to Chicago. To operate your seatbelt, insert the metal tab into the buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other seatbelt and if you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised. In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with two small children, decide now which one you love more."

Southwest often has the best ones, I can't remember the full details of the one for a redeye ISP->ORD but it was quite funny, along the lines of "you've heard this before and aren't paying attention so we make it super funny"
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:55 am »
From a Southwest Airlines employee: "Welcome aboard Southwest Flight XXX to Chicago. To operate your seatbelt, insert the metal tab into the buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other seatbelt and if you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised. In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with two small children, decide now which one you love more."

Southwest often has the best ones, I can't remember the full details of the one for a redeye ISP->ORD but it was quite funny, along the lines of "you've heard this before and aren't paying attention so we make it super funny"

Yeah I enjoy flying southwest largely for that reason. I am not sure if they just try to hire funny people, train them, or if it is just a different corporate culture thing. The other day I was flying from boulder to sacremento on a flight that was destined for L.A. and the pilot upon landing in sacremento explained that the plane would now be continuing to L.A. or, as it is sometimes known, west phoenix
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:24:49 am »

Yeah I enjoy flying southwest largely for that reason. I am not sure if they just try to hire funny people, train them, or if it is just a different corporate culture thing. The other day I was flying from boulder to sacremento on a flight that was destined for L.A. and the pilot upon landing in sacremento explained that the plane would now be continuing to L.A. or, as it is sometimes known, west phoenix

I should note that re: Southwest and also re: airline surcharges, I would be quite happy to pay extra for my baggage if the flight attendants still looked like this:
----

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 06:03:47 pm »
If your feeling good summarization, another option might be to hold off a week and wait to assist in the hurricane Irene mess soon to come.  Looks like a doozy headed up the entire east coast, possible cat4 or 5 on Florida. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:11:29 pm »
 That would be pretty sweet! I mean, not the impending doom and disaster........But I could make a trip in the U.S. God knows I'm back and forth across the country enough. About once every four weeks. I really wanted to go south after Katrina, but stupid full time job got in the way. Now, I'm free to start my own "Weaze Cross". (or Red Weaze?  :-\ )
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 07:14:39 pm »
That would be pretty sweet! I mean, not the impending doom and disaster........But I could make a trip in the U.S. God knows I'm back and forth across the country enough. About once every four weeks. I really wanted to go south after Katrina, but stupid full time job got in the way. Now, I'm free to start my own "Weaze Cross". (or Red Weaze?  :-\ )
I'd go with Weaze Cross. I'd see a doctor if I had Red Weaze : ;D
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »
(or Red Weaze?  :-\ )

AH HAH!  A commie!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »
In January I went to France for my mother-in-law's funeral, it cost $950 round trip.  This week I'm going to say goodbye to my dying father in law,$2250 round trip each.  And those fares are with the "compassionate discount".
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »
Sorry to hear about the in-laws.
Damn that's one hell of a disparity in rates between summer and winter.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 09:06:45 pm »
Sorry to hear about the in-laws.
Damn that's one hell of a disparity in rates between summer and winter.
Thanks.  He'll be 90 in 2 weeks, he was 20 when the Germans occupied his village and basically forced him to do slave labor for 6 years.  It's hard for us to grasp what that must have been like.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 11:45:50 pm »
In January I went to France for my mother-in-law's funeral, it cost $950 round trip.  This week I'm going to say goodbye to my dying father in law,$2250 round trip each.  And those fares are with the "compassionate discount".

My wife's grandfather died a few months back. He was in rhone-alpes at the time of the occupation and was made to do forced labor as well. My wife's other grandfather was an infantryman with the FFI who was captured during the blitz on Paris, also had to do labor for the rest of the war.

If you need a place to stay, or a ride from the airport or anything, DM me and let me know - I'd offer to help offset the plane tix but uncle sam needs to be paid and so my savings are going bye-bye.
----

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 12:49:58 am »

My wife's grandfather died a few months back. He was in rhone-alpes at the time of the occupation and was made to do forced labor as well. My wife's other grandfather was an infantryman with the FFI who was captured during the blitz on Paris, also had to do labor for the rest of the war.

My mother in law was born in Stuttgart in 1928.  She was conscripted into the Hitler Youth.  She had a really difficult time coming to grips with that part of her life.  She took her guilt and shame with her to her grave.  Her daughter, my wife, and I know that was what she had to do to survive.

A recent episode of World War II in Color on the Military Channel helped us to understand what it must have been like for her and her siblings.  Mostly, she was so ashamed of her youth she would not talk about it to anyone.  

My MIL was a very good woman.  My wife and her twin brother are living proof.

It scares me that we seem to be going down that path again.  I really hope not.  I hope we are smart enough to learn from the past, and not repeat past mistakes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:12:37 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907