Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold crashing with dry hops in secondary  (Read 1450 times)

vorlaufthegreat

Cold crashing with dry hops in secondary
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:48:32 pm »
I racked my beer to the secondary last week then dry hopped with 7 ounces of pellet hops. Is cold crashing the secondary before I transfer to the keg ok? If I remember correctly I read somewhere that this can give of vegetable flavors. I don't really understand how this would be seeing as I know many of you dry hop directly in the keg. This is what I was going to do but didn't want to add 7 ounces into the keg. 

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Cold crashing with dry hops in secondary
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:19:38 pm »
I don't think anything beyond personal experiences\preferences indicate that dry-hopping cold vs. warm tends to more grassiness.  I've done both (though not as controlled experiments), and have never experienced 'grassiness' as I understand the descriptor.  Of course, I've not dry-hopped with 7oz. either!  Awesome.

I have noticed an improved hop aroma by clarifying my beer before adding dry hops to the keg, which is all done cold, btw.  For my current IPA in primary, I'm going to split my dry-hop charge in half, dry hop 1-week with half, then another week with the other half.  Even with the same total amount of hops, is supposed to bump the fresh hop flavors even more than a single, larger charge.  You might give that a try with the amount you're using and dry hop a bit in the keg.