Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Let's make this into a competition!  (Read 8281 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Let's make this into a competition!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 12:51:02 pm »
True, but I'm guessing most folks treat it as a hidden cost wrapped up in what they're already doing.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 12:54:26 pm »
Don't brew beer then because it is extremely energy intensive. Honestly, I don't know why this would even become an issue to debate. You want to make great beer, control the fermentation temp. I can honestly say I have never noticed a huge fluctuation in my energy bills by freezing a few water bottles.

And if you use a decent chest freezer (10 years old or less), not too oversized, insulated top and only run it when you actually need it, you won't see much of an increase on your bill either.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 01:42:04 pm »
Don't brew beer then because it is extremely energy intensive. Honestly, I don't know why this would even become an issue to debate. You want to make great beer, control the fermentation temp. I can honestly say I have never noticed a huge fluctuation in my energy bills by freezing a few water bottles.

And if you use a decent chest freezer (10 years old or less), not too oversized, insulated top and only run it when you actually need it, you won't see much of an increase on your bill either.

okay not to extend this debate any further but that is what I was talking about with freebie fridges. they are rarely decent or effiecient. I just wanted to get a warning out there to anyone considering grabbing the free fridge off the street corner.  :)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 01:50:18 pm »
I see a lot of people build fermentation chambers out of foam board and then use a computer fan to circulate the air. I'm sure you can build one of these for $50 or so, but I've also seen many 5-7 cubic foot chest freezers go with $100 or less. I'm not talking about junk freezers either. I bought a like new, 12 foot one, for $100. Of course you still need a controller, but in the end you'll have great temperature control and you won't be filling up your food freezer with bottles of water.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 01:52:16 pm »
you won't be filling up your food freezer with bottles of water.

If you have the space, using bottles filled with water is actually a way to save energy in your freezer.  The added mass of the frozen water buffers thermal swings and makes you freezer work more efficiently.  Of course, filling it with food will do the same thing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 01:54:36 pm »
you won't be filling up your food freezer with bottles of water.

If you have the space, using bottles filled with water is actually a way to save energy in your freezer.  The added mass of the frozen water buffers thermal swings and makes you freezer work more efficiently.  Of course, filling it with food will do the same thing.

Filling your freezer with bottles of water to freeze them and then switching them out everyday with your fermenter is NOT a way to stabilize your freezer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 01:56:42 pm »
While I agree that a chest freezer is the best option for a fermentation freezer I fail to see why someone would be so adamantly opposed to using a few frozen water bottles, unless it just gives him a chance to argue.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 01:58:03 pm »
While I agree that a chest freezer is the best option for a fermentation freezer...

I'm glad you agree.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 04:28:02 pm »
No time for a debate - I gotta go - I have two 5 gallon buckets in swamp coolers in my basement and I have to swap out my frozen water bottles before my water gets up to 70... I have it going well on day 4 for a Red Ale.  Nice controlled temperatures, but we had a spike in temperature today.  Thankfully my 20 gallons of pilsner are cooling nicely in my lager chest (1987 Montgomery Wards special) at 46F.  Does someone have a problem with my carbon footprint?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 05:01:47 pm »
While I agree that a chest freezer is the best option for a fermentation freezer...

I'm glad you agree.

All you gotta do is read the posts!

While I agree a temp controlled fridge or freezer is the best option there's no need to wait for Christmas. You probably have a bucket big enough to immerse your fermenter in now and frozen water bottles can't be hard to come by. You can start contrrolling fermentation temps on the very next batch.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:03:31 pm by majorvices »

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »

I'm glad you agree.

While I agree a temp controlled fridge or freezer is the best option there's no need to wait for Christmas. You probably have a bucket big enough to immerse your fermenter in now and frozen water bottles can't be hard to come by. You can start contrrolling fermentation temps on the very next batch.

I don't know what your problem is. I wasn't trying to piss you off. I'm simply trying to offer other ideas for the poster. I thought that was the purpose of a forum. Sure you can use ice. I did it myself, but I also learned quickly how much trouble it was and how inexpensively you can get a nice chest freezer and make your life easier and keep your temperature more consistent.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 06:32:59 pm »

I'm glad you agree.

I don't know what your problem is..
No problem here. Not sure what you are talking about. I argued back and forth with you is all. You like to argue, I like to argue. I fail to see where it is my problem alone. All I was saying is I agree that a chest freezer is a worth while purchase. But that a swamp cooler will work too, if you don't have the means to to pick up a freezer right now.  Both are appropriate options for the OP.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 06:37:10 pm »

I'm glad you agree.

I don't know what your problem is..
No problem here. Not sure what you are talking about. I argued back and forth with you is all. You like to argue, I like to argue. I fail to see where it is my problem alone. All I was saying is I agree that a chest freezer is a worth while purchase. But that a swamp cooler will work too, if you don't have the means to to pick up a freezer right now.  Both are appropriate options for the OP.

The difference is, I didn't make it personal. Why should I? We agree.  ;D

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 06:38:47 pm »
very interesting thread and debate.. learn a lot...thruly!
ferm temps is essential
Al Equihua

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 06:47:57 pm »
very interesting thread and debate.. learn a lot...thruly!
ferm temps is essential

+1,000,000,000,000,000