Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many people use hop bags?  (Read 14721 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: How many people use hop bags?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »
I thought it was a 30% decrease in utilization when using bags.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 06:15:12 pm »
Paul,

No, it doesn't matter. And I'm not challenging the notion that there's a utilization difference attributable to using a bag.  It's just that 10% is a rather precise figure that's been repeated many times over. I was curious if this was the result of a lab test.

I hear ya! I just meant that you'll have to try it yourself to make the ultimate determination.  That "FWH ~20min addition" stuff has been repeated over and over ad nauseum too, yet lab results suggest otherwise.  That's all I was trying to say.

Exactly.  Of course, a FWH addition is only the equivalent of a 20 min. addition if you're mashing in a blue cooler.  If you're using a red one, you can count on it being more like 65 min. addition.  :P
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline egminer

• 1st Kit
  • Beer on the bluff
    • Gakona, Alaska
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »
I use a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer for everything but a FWH addition.  Works great -- minimal mess.

I like this idea, but it seems like it would be somewhat difficult to use with an immersion chiller.

use this: http://www.bayareamashers.org/gadgets/Hop%20bag%20holder.pdf

and then with an oven mitt, you can lift the hops out and sneak the IC underneath - takes a little technique, but its doable.

I wish I had seen this before I started brewing today...this looks like a really good idea.

I also utilize this method. I started with hop bags and found that they are rarely large enough nor do they seem to allow adequate ciruclation of the hops when in a boil. I built the bag holder easily enough and have been more than happy with the added ciruclation of wort around the hops during the boil.  I also have a false bottom on by brew kettle, but will not risk clogging the siphon tube from the kettle to the chiller. Clean up is easier  wiht this method also.
2799.7, 321.1 Apparent Rennerian
; Sabco Brew-Magic, 2 Blichmann 14.5 gallon fermentors... Life is Good Judge!

Offline rightasrain

• Cellarman
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 02:41:01 pm »
use this: http://www.bayareamashers.org/gadgets/Hop%20bag%20holder.pdf
and then with an oven mitt, you can lift the hops out and sneak the IC underneath - takes a little technique, but its doable.

I quit using those little hops bags and built a hops strainer based on the strainer that blatz posted. I have noticed much more prominent hops taste ever since I quit using hops bags. And it is so much easier then trying to get the hops into the little bag thats at boiling temperature. Now its been 4 batches since I quite.

My last batch was the first batch to use the the new strainer. What I do is use nothing during the boil. Then at the end of the boil I put the hops catcher in my old primary fermenter and pour it to the fermenter. Let it drain and transfer it to my better bottle. Its working out pretty good and only adds about 5 minutes or so if you sanatize your hands and then squeeze the strainer to speed the straining up a bit.
"Rogues are willing to shun titles and personal financial success in the  pursuit of the greater good.
Rogues pursue the long shot.
Rogues have respect for diversity.
Rogues work hard.
Rogues are driven to succeed in their chosen field.
Rogues are honest with themselves and others.
Rogues are rebels."
- www.rogue.com

Offline Lager

• 1st Kit
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 11:30:14 am »
I know there are large strain bags sold at HB shops, how they compare to a paint strainer in terms of material would be intresting to know since my concern with a paint strainer and using PVC in boiling temperatures could be both a health and - to a lesser degree - off flavor issues. PVC is not recommended for use in foods when using high temps, and I would guess that the material for a paint strainer is not deisgned to be safe for foods or to be used at boiling temps.
I think it would be safer to assume the big straining bags sold in HB shops would be safe for the high temps since that is the intent. And PVCP is approved for high temps and food use.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »
you aren't actually using the PVC in the liquid - it sits atop your kettle not in the boiling wort..

IIRC, the bags are 100% nylon (with the exception of the elastic band some have of course) - same as the hop bags in a HB store...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pricepeeler

• 1st Kit
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:57 am »
I use hop sacks due to convenience and my limited equipment.  As my brewing progresses, I can see myself moving away from them.

Price

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 10:42:31 am »
To the best of my knowledge, paint strainer bags are made of nylon. The ones I have used had a smaller mesh than the 1 sparge bag I had paid way too much for (somewhere around $8-9 at my LHBS), whereas the strainer bags were around $.75 each at the local hardware store. Plus if you use the larger bags, they may not affect your utilization as much. YMMV.