Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: whisky barrels need homes  (Read 34806 times)

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
Re: whisky barrels need homes
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 04:23:47 am »
My understanding is this week, but I think that they were all pre-sold and paid for by members on-line.
Chris P. Frey, aka "Crispy"
Mountain Ale & Lager Tasters MALT)
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild (AABG)
Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen (FORD)

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 10:09:58 am »
We received the whisky barrels last week and I was thrilled wirth their pristine condition, the beautiful aroma behind the bung, and the fact that they came with their own stands! Our local homebrew shop (Adventures In Homebrewing) facilitated the deal, and several dozen of us were able to obtain one or more at a great price. I immediatly racked over an Old Ale that I had sitting in secondary, and when I tasted a small sample just a day later, it had a rgeat flavor already!

Thanks for thinking of us homebrewers these personal sized barrels rock!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 10:41:22 am »
We received the whisky barrels last week and I was thrilled wirth their pristine condition, the beautiful aroma behind the bung, and the fact that they came with their own stands! Our local homebrew shop (Adventures In Homebrewing) facilitated the deal, and several dozen of us were able to obtain one or more at a great price. I immediatly racked over an Old Ale that I had sitting in secondary, and when I tasted a small sample just a day later, it had a rgeat flavor already!

Thanks for thinking of us homebrewers these personal sized barrels rock!

Nice, our club is in the process of finallizing an order for a pallet. really looking forward to it. going to have to brew up something big to fill it post haste.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 06:26:34 pm »
You won't be disappointed. I called Chip today to thank him, and to ask him some questions about these barrels.

Chip, the Head Distiller for Balcones Distillery in Texas, is the one who posted about these being available for homebrewers on the AHA Forum. He said these were the sort of barrels he wished he could get his hands on when he was homebrewing.

There is a lot of information on one end that has clues about the prior contents, dates of emptying, and alcohol levels previously in the barrels. Mine say’s “Blue Corn” and what I think is an alcohol measurement (60.4% or something like that) and date, then “Malt”, another measurement and date, along with the dump date (early September).

So I am guessing that, along with the info on their website, that these held their “Baby Blue”, a Blue Corn Whisky, and then their single malt. Their website: http://www.balconesdistilling.com/

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:52:30 am »
Does anyone know if Balcone still has barrels available?

I'm considering ordering a barrel from http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/barrels/, but at around $55 per the barrels from Balcone are more cost effective.

Unfortunately, I can't use a pallet-full, but I'd go for two if anyone in Chicago wants to organize a shipment...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 12:19:19 pm »
Does anyone know if Balcone still has barrels available?

I'm considering ordering a barrel from http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/barrels/, but at around $55 per the barrels from Balcone are more cost effective.

Unfortunately, I can't use a pallet-full, but I'd go for two if anyone in Chicago wants to organize a shipment...

the impression I got from him is they always have barrels available. It might be a week or two before he can get them in the 'mail' but they will be available. He likes to pre-sell a bit so they are as fresh as possible when he ships them.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »
Do you know of a better way to reach him than a PM on this site?

I PM'd him when he first posted, but didn't pursue it too hard as I got the sense he prefers to do bulk shipments.

Like I said, I can only use two.  I suppose I could hassle a LHBS to see if they can put together a bigger order.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »

I PM'd him when he first posted, but didn't pursue it too hard as I got the sense he prefers to do bulk shipments.

Like I said, I can only use two.  I suppose I could hassle a LHBS to see if they can put together a bigger order.

there is a contact us link on the distillery website here http://balconesdistilling.com/about-us

it seems like a pretty small operation so they may take a bit to get back to you. But given that woodenville is selling theirs for over 100.00 I bet you could work a deal with the LBHS where you get a barrel or two for free.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 09:06:32 pm »

Joe...did you ever get a response from Balcone?
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »
I sent him an email and got a response pretty quick.  I think they prefer pallet sales but will sell individual barrels.
On a different note, I bought a bottle of their Blue Corn whiskey and it is worth the $50 I spent.  That is some amazing whiskey.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 12:45:15 pm »

Like I said, I can only use two.  I suppose I could hassle a LHBS to see if they can put together a bigger order.

I did not.  I sent a PM, and might have done an e-mail through their site.  Can't recall for sure.

A small distiller here in Chicago has barrels for $100.  But they're 33 gallons.  A little more than I can reasonably handle.

I remain interested, but for now I'll go with oak chips until I can find a good deal.

Corky - if you have an e-mail for him please PM me.

JOE
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:08:45 pm by Joe Sr. »

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 01:09:59 pm »

Like I said, I can only use two.  I suppose I could hassle a LHBS to see if they can put together a bigger order.

I did not.  I sent a PM, and might have done an e-mail through their site.  Can't recall for sure.

A small distiller here in Chicago has barrels for $100.  But they're 33 gallons.  A little more than I can reasonably handle.

I remain interested, but for now I'll go with oak chips until I can find a good deal.

Corky - if you have an e-mail for him please PM me.

JOE
http://www.balconesdistilling.com/about-us
There is a form to fill out to contact them, they got back to me within a day or 2 IIRC.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Crispy275

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 01:43:54 pm »
For what it is worth, I just emptied my 1st filling of the corn whiskey/single malt barrel and it was delightfully filled with vanilla, tannins and booze. Just rinsed it out with 3 gallons of pre-boiled water and added 5+ gallons of Imperial Stout. These are great little barrels, but you do need to order a pallette to make it worth their while...go through your LHBS shop.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 10:04:50 am »
For what it is worth, I just emptied my 1st filling of the corn whiskey/single malt barrel and it was delightfully filled with vanilla, tannins and booze. Just rinsed it out with 3 gallons of pre-boiled water and added 5+ gallons of Imperial Stout. These are great little barrels, but you do need to order a pallette to make it worth their while...go through your LHBS shop.

nice, I just emptied my first filling of a rumble barrel. tasted amazing, boozy, dark rasininy/figgy fruit. some vanilla. rinsed with hot water and added a bottle of meyers dark rum until I can fill it again.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline bbump22

• Assistant Brewer
    • Bump City Brews
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »
Any barrels left?
mmmm....beer