Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: whisky barrels need homes  (Read 34763 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: whisky barrels need homes
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 09:34:48 pm »
Any barrels left?

Try craigslist grand rapids michigan.  Thought I saw some there about a week ago.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:38 am »
Any barrels left?

Shoot him a PM or even check out the website, just google Balcones distillery. From what I gathered they always have barrels it just may take a few weeks to work everything out. I suspect they are, as the saying goes, busier than a one legged man in an... well you get the idea.

great barrels and good price as long as you have 16 friends who all also want a barrel (you'd be suprised! ;D)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:19 am »
I PM'd them through here, and sent an email through their website.  Our homebrew club wanted to get a palette together, but I've never heard anything back.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:23 am »
I PM'd them through here, and sent an email through their website.  Our homebrew club wanted to get a palette together, but I've never heard anything back.

Try this ;D
chiptate@balconesdistilling.com
President & Head Distiller

Just finishing up a group by for some local Nebraska clubs this week. Hope to have the barrels soon! 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:00:28 pm by hoser »

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2012, 10:40:44 am »
The Nebraska clubs just received our 3 pallets from Balcones yesterday.  Very impressed.  Barrels are in great condition.  A mix of Blue Corn, Rumble, and Single Malt. Wonderful aromatics. Balcones even included a barrel stand for each barrel!  After freight shipping the cost was $70, a definite steal!  Jared and Chip were great guys to work with and very helpful throughout the process!

Now I just need to find some time to brew up a beer to fill this bad boy with! :D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 10:46:38 am »
The Nebraska clubs just received our 3 pallets from Balcones yesterday.  Very impressed.  Barrels are in great condition.  A mix of Blue Corn, Rumble, and Single Malt. Wonderful aromatics. Balcones even included a barrel stand for each barrel!  After freight shipping the cost was $70, a definite steal!  Jared and Chip were great guys to work with and very helpful throughout the process!

Now I just need to find some time to brew up a beer to fill this bad boy with! :D

you will enjoy them. I just put my third beer in my rumble barrel, havn't tasted the second in yet but the first out was amazing. It was an 11% barley wine. second was a 12% 'saison' and the third, in there now is a rye stout (this one was only ~3% going in so it's a different animal entirely.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:26 am »
How long did you leave the first beer in the barrel?
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 02:01:09 pm »
How long did you leave the first beer in the barrel?

first one was in for 6 weeks and ended up with a fairly pronounced barrel character but not over the top. saison was in for closer to 2 months, just tasted the first 'test' bottle this weekend. still very green, not fully carbed up yet but the barrel character was greaty reduced from the first batch, still a little boozy and a touch of oak but not to the same level as the BW.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce