Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: US-05 temp...How low can I go?  (Read 2554 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
US-05 temp...How low can I go?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:54:37 am »
I've been wanting to brew a Schwarzbier recipe that I formulated for about 6 months now.  I had originally planned to reuse some WLP830 from this years O'fest that I brewed in early May.  Due to the lack of lagering space I have, I haven't got around to it and dont think I'm going to use it now.  I'm thinking of just pitching some US-05? Yeah, I know it will not be even close to the beer it could've been but I need to use these Ingredients.  We have a lil' girl coming in OCT and I have a feeling there won't be much brewing after that for a little while.  Anyway, I've used US-05 down to 58F with great results.  Has anyone gone lower than that?  I was thinking 55F then ramping up at the end of fermentation? Thoughts?
-J.K.L.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: US-05 temp...How low can I go?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:07 am »
I've used it often at 55 with no problems.  I've heard of people using it as low as 50, but I haven't tried those beers so I have no personal knowledge of that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:06:51 am »
+1

I've pitched in the 50's with a healthy ferment to follow. No problem. I think you could go lower but haven't tried.
Ron Price

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:26:11 am »
Great! I think 55F will be just fine for this Schwarz-mock? lol  Thx for the replies guys!
-J.K.L.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:08:23 pm »
52F with no problems on a Faux Pils now being enjoyed on tap.  It makes you wonder if it is almost at the Cry Havoc level. :-\

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:59:34 pm »
52F with no problems on a Faux Pils now being enjoyed on tap.  It makes you wonder if it is almost at the Cry Havoc level. :-\

Hmmmm? Makes me want to try and go lower.  Does it attenuate well at that temp?
-J.K.L.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:05:06 pm »
It maybe attenuates slightly less, by a couple points at most.  I've gone down to 56F or so and it still attenuated 75% or more.  It's a great yeast, I tell ya.
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:29:38 am »
On the Faux Pils at 52F, it went from 1046 OG to 1008 FG in 30 days, single primary fermentation, to keg to serving by day 35 to second/final 5 gallon keg blown last night (day 54).  I have lots of samplers.... ;)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"