Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Efficiency  (Read 2475 times)

Offline g-s

• 1st Kit
Mash Efficiency
« on: December 31, 2009, 10:30:38 am »
When entering mash efficiency numbers on Pro Mash what number should be used the S.G. pre boil or post boil ? To me it should be pre boil because the boil can increase your gravity depending on boil time and evaporation % . Just wondering if I'm doing it right.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Mash Efficiency
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:44:56 am »
When entering mash efficiency numbers on Pro Mash what number should be used the S.G. pre boil or post boil ? To me it should be pre boil because the boil can increase your gravity depending on boil time and evaporation % . Just wondering if I'm doing it right.

It doesn't matter as long as you also enter the appropriate wort volume that goes with the gravity reading. If it doesn't ask you for a volume you need to figure out what volume it is assuming.

Kai

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:39:12 am »
I find it easiest to use pre-boil volume / gravity.  The post boil works just as well, but it takes into account losses when transferring to the fermenter which you cannot directly enter on that screen.  I think the more valuable piece of information from a process improvement perspective is how much you extracted from the grains, i.e. pre-boil efficiency.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 10:21:45 am »
+1 on it doesn't matter, so long as the volume is correct. I typically enter the 'Measurement Taken in Fermenter' OG but that's just because it's a more precise volume measurment with my system configuration.  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA