General Category > All Grain Brewing

Efficiency of Batch v. Fly as it Relates to Mash Tun Design

(1/6) > >>

bspisak:

I have a straight braided line as a manifold in my mash tun and usually batch sparge. I recently used this setup and did a fly sparge and got horrible efficiency. Is it because of my manifold?  I would think fly would give better results then batch on a given tun design, but maybe that's not the case?  Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree?

denny:
Yeah, a straight braided line will promote channeling, allowing the water to "drill down" in one spot and only extract the sugars from that one location, leading to lowered efficiency.  If you want to fly sparge, you need a more evenly distributed lautering system.  One of the great things about batch sparging is that it eliminates lauter design as a variable in efficiency.  FWIW, fly sparging is not necessarily more efficient than batch sparging.

dbeechum:

--- Quote from: denny on January 06, 2010, 04:05:11 PM ---FWIW, fly sparging is not necessarily more efficient than batch sparging.

--- End quote ---

Nope, but it's definitely going to attract more women. :) (Ok, that's my bad pun for the day)

bspisak:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I understand the principal of channeling and good manifold design for maximal efficiency, but why would batch sparging yield higher efficiency than fly sparging using the same "poor" manifold design?  Wouldn't I get the same channeling no matter which way I sparged? 

MDixon:
Channeling doesn't matter when batch sparging since the runoff is homogeneous. You get the same concentration of sugars with batch sparging in a single draining of the tun from first drop to last. What is of upmost importance with batch sparging is crush. If one has a substandard crush then efficiency will be lower. With fly sparging the most important aspect IMO is mash tun manifold followed by crush.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version