Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation  (Read 1736 times)

Offline RJC

• 1st Kit
Fermentation
« on: August 23, 2011, 01:18:00 pm »
Just want to ask a question on fermentation. Would there be any negatives if I cooled my wort to 80F then put in a temp-controlled freezer to get down to 65F, then pitch my yeast?. I am making one pass thru a counterflow chiller. I am looking to save time on my brew day. ???

Thank You in advance for any input.

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:36:46 pm »
Though it is better to cool the wort quicker...

I have been doing to same thing this summer and my results have been good.  Just make sure your sanitation is good.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:37:01 pm »
As long as you practice good cleanliness and sanitation, none.  I frequently does this a lot in the summer with no problems.  Plus, I like to pitch a little cooler than my ferment temps and let it free rise to the temp I ferment at.

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 01:54:54 pm »
Although I whirlpool and use a pre-chiller, I also use a CFC and do exactly what your asking.  During this crazy heat down here, I reach my target temp of 140F then run one more pass through the CFC and end up somewhere around 80F-90F pumping directly into my carboys in my freezer.  3-5 hours later I'm usually around 60F and I pitch.  5 batches in on this new system and it's been working great.
-J.K.L.   

Offline pehlman

• Cellarman
  • No matter how bad life gets... There's always beer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:45:53 pm »
I have had to do this a few time and so far I haven't had any major issues. I only have an immersion chiller, so once I get it below 100F my cooling really starts to slow down. Ill throw it into my fridge and turn my thermostat to around 45 and wait a couple hours. Its probably still a little warmer than it should be but at least I know it's in a range where the yeast aren't gonna go into shock if I go ahead and toss em in.

Beer: It's what's for dinner.

-Mike Pehl (Certified Cicerone TM)

Fermenting: Chocolate Rye Ale Please (C.R.A.P.)
                 Kern River "Citra" DIPA Clone
Drinking: All the lovely fall seasonal beers! My Favorites!

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:18 am »
+1 on the sanitation. I like to use a solid (not drilled) stopper when chilling down in the fridge versus an airlock. Despite my efforts to maintain a clean envirnment; I'm sure there's all kinds of anti-yeasties lurking in my chest freezer. I wouldnt want to suck them through an airlock as the wort chills.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:33 am »
I have had to do this a few time and so far I haven't had any major issues. I only have an immersion chiller, so once I get it below 100F my cooling really starts to slow down. Ill throw it into my fridge and turn my thermostat to around 45 and wait a couple hours. Its probably still a little warmer than it should be but at least I know it's in a range where the yeast aren't gonna go into shock if I go ahead and toss em in.

Pehlman,

I use an IC too, but I have mine hooked up to a 200gph pond pump.  Once its down to 140F I switch from pumping cold tap water to the 40lbs of ice and water I have in a cooler.  I'm at 60F from boiling in about 15-20 mins, with an awesome cold break.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:24:56 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem but not optimal. I've tried all sorts of ways to cut time from the brew-day. I prefer getting the wort to temp with an icewater recirc. BTW I just freeze up the ice in advance.

If it really is an issue, why not freeze up a 2 or 3 liter PET bottle (sans label etc) and sanitize it before dropping the bottle into the wort. Ought to reduce the temp to where you want it.

Good luck.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis