Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10 easy steps to being a better brewer  (Read 17162 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 10 easy steps to being a better brewer
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »
Everybody forgets the 4th ingredient:  water. 
But it comprises 95% of the beer.
It makes a huge difference if you're unfortunate to live in parts of the country where the water isn't ideal for brewing.
Make sure is is good tasting, chlorine- and chloramide-free, and has the necessary ions needed for good AG brewing.
Regular filtered or spring water can be used for extract batches.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 12:48:06 pm »
If you're brewing a kit, take the instructions and throw them away ASAP.

I'd have to say that isn't universally true.  I've seen kits with good instructions as well as bad.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 07:30:05 pm »
1 ) Forget advice about not drinking homebrew whilst brewing.  A brewer needs inspiration.
2 ) Eat a breakfast burrito prior to brewing.  Sustenance is important for the brewer that excels.
3 ) Remember that the only style guideline that matters is...  Crap, can't think of one that matters.
4 ) Avoid setting the dog on fire.  Non-adherence to this can cause the spousal unit to curtail brewing activities and you'll end up rethinking point of advice #1.
5 ) Buy a headlamp.  Brewing in the dark sucks.
6 ) Don't grab hot items of equipment with your bare hands.
7 ) Leave plenty of space between your nonheat tolerant equipment and your 640,000 BTU burner.
8 ) Be prepared.  Have extra thermometers, hydrometers, pint glasses, cigars, and breakfast burritos on hand.
9 ) When brewing outdoors, brew in a covered space.  Boiling wort attracts snow clouds.  Even in July.
10 ) Send homebrew samples to me.  That will allow me to give much more detailed and individualized advice.  This is likely to be a very iterative process, so keep my address handy each time you package your beer.

Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »
1 ) Forget advice about not drinking homebrew whilst brewing.  A brewer needs inspiration.

IME, not so much. First homebrew is after the yeast is pitched. Sweet, sweet reward...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:01 pm »

IME, not so much. First homebrew is after the yeast is pitched. Sweet, sweet reward...

I think I'd have to agree.  Safety and motivation.  Good deal
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:10 am »

I get all the inspiration I need when I have a couple beers after I brew.  Drinking while brewing leads me to mistakes and laziness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2011, 09:43:02 am »

I get all the inspiration I need when I have a couple beers after I brew.  Drinking while brewing leads me to mistakes and laziness.

I'm with you on this.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2011, 09:46:10 am »

I'm with you on this.
+1
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2011, 09:48:57 am »
I usually pull a pint right after flameout. It's the reward for a job well done.  :)
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 10:04:11 am »

I have found that the safety and quality control are both better if I do not drink until everything is finished, cleaned, and stored away.  Then I can have a pint.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 10:11:29 am »

I have found that the safety and quality control are both better if I do not drink until everything is finished, cleaned, and stored away.  Then I can have a pint.

+1 ...although it's tempting, I have lived and learned in that department. I always have as many as I feel necessary after everything is done. ;)
-J.K.L.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 11:27:30 am »
I'm with you guys, no beers until I'm (nearly) done.  Not before chilling anyway.  Inspiration is great during recipe development, getting inspired while brewing leads to some bad brews.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2011, 01:31:13 pm »
I rarely have a beer before noon when I'm brewing.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »
I'm with you guys, no beers until I'm (nearly) done.  Not before chilling anyway.  Inspiration is great during recipe development, getting inspired while brewing leads to some bad brews.
I'm breaking my rule.  It's boiling, not chilling.  ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »
I'm breaking my rule.  It's boiling, not  I'm chilling.  ;D
Fixed that for you.

I will be the first to admit that I don't always abstain while brewing as mentioned but sometimes I'll have one or two in 4-6 hours at most before finishing the process. I used to pop one open at the time the mash started. It was never a marathon drinking session just a RDW kind of brew day and it seemed appropriate. But listening to the group, it makes sense. No need to add alcohol to the laundry list of dangers. Glass carboys 'splodin' and brewing in the garage near a gas tank, or high temps of boiling wort...With my luck I am amazed I don't have any brew battle scars...

So I'll add, XX.) Be safe.
Ruben * Colorado :)