Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 10 easy steps to being a better brewer  (Read 17205 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: 10 easy steps to being a better brewer
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »
11) marry a woman who loves beer.

Heck I need the exact opposite, my girl likes my home brew too much some times.
See, that's where I have the advantage having a wife who doesn't drink beer.  Mine, all mine!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2011, 01:08:34 pm »
11) marry a woman who loves beer.

Heck I need the exact opposite, my girl likes my home brew too much some times.
See, that's where I have the advantage having a wife who doesn't drink beer.  Mine, all mine!

Lucky you, wanna trade?
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »
I think time of day plays a big part in having a beer or 2 while brewing.  I start no later than 9 AM usually and I just don't want to start drinking that early.  But since I'm always done by 2 PM, it's easy to hold off having a beer (or several) til then.

Hahahaha...
Denny,
I thought you were stating that you started drinking no later than 9.
This contradicted nearly everything I have learned about you, in my year of reading the forum.
I just had to laugh at my mistaken reading of your post.

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »
It's been so hot this summer that I've been trying to fire the HLT around 5:00am.  That way I'm in the house drinking by noon.  The garage has sure been steamy through the boil though. Whew!
-J.K.L.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »
I think time of day plays a big part in having a beer or 2 while brewing.  I start no later than 9 AM usually and I just don't want to start drinking that early.  But since I'm always done by 2 PM, it's easy to hold off having a beer (or several) til then.

Hahahaha...
Denny,
This contradicted nearly everything I have learned about you, in my year of reading the forum.

I can see how it sounded like that!  In truth, once or twice a year when I host something like Big Brew, I do start drinking at 9 or so.  Those days I just kinda write off the beer...it's gonna be whatever it's gonna be!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2011, 09:41:55 am »
So it seems that the brewers who heed the no-beers-while-brewing rule follow it about as well as the rules on speeding.  ;)  I'm sure none of us speed either.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2011, 09:48:05 am »
So it seems that the brewers who heed the no-beers-while-brewing rule follow it about as well as the rules on speeding.  ;)  I'm sure none of us speed either.

I stick to it, the brewing part.

The speed limit?  I have slowed down, but I used to live in Germany, and miss the Autobahn.  Say no more.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2011, 09:54:14 am »
Well, I tried a middle ground approach today - I started before 9 am on the mash and had my first beer 15 minutes into the boil.  My hops are set out and my IC is at the ready with the hose.  This first pilsner sure is hitting the spot.

;D
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »

Hahahaha...
Denny,

I can see how it sounded like that!  In truth, once or twice a year when I host something like Big Brew, I do start drinking at 9 or so.  Those days I just kinda write off the beer...it's gonna be whatever it's gonna be!

All beer drinking scheduled time limits do not apply to fishing trips and NHCs.  It says so right in the rules.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2011, 12:51:36 pm »
All beer drinking scheduled time limits do not apply to fishing trips and NHCs.  It says so right in the rules.

I work in a tackle store next to a fishing area, and when I first started I was surprised how many people start drinking at 6am. I tend to see a lot more wake-and-bake than drinking, though.

I usually have a beer or two while brewing, regardless of the time I brew, but when you own/run a business, you're basically always on the clock. If I never drank when I have a few spare hours at random times, I'd never be able to drink.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:54:46 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2011, 08:46:37 am »

+1 on this one. I am no longer the " gym rat" I used to be. But at almost 56 years of age I can still do 15 pushups on each arm and nearly 20 chinups. I only drink twice a week. I am 4 years from retiring and ever so glad for the time I have invested in my health. I want to have the health to do the things I want to do after I retire.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2011, 08:49:58 am »
Hmm. Quoted the wrong poster.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2011, 08:52:04 am »
In my case, when I first started making beer as a new hobby I decided it would be disadvantageous for my health and life and I decided to go to a gym as a rule. I had years who did not exercise regularly and I think there is no justification to just do something like pleasure and do nothing for the health of your body to try to compensate. Im 37 years old and I think it should be esady drink from now on, forget about comercial beers and drink less but quality beer as once did,

I like to drink my beer on Friday and Saturday
I know this is nothing to do with skills, knowledge or gadget for brewing but i recomend this option so that makes me feel better when I drink beer and think: Im a brewer! and also workout!
Do exercise!!

This was the intended quote.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2011, 12:52:22 pm »
Quoting Denny on the benefits of exercise seems incongruous.  I'm happy you got that straightened out.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2011, 03:15:01 pm »
Quoting Denny on the benefits of exercise seems incongruous.  I'm happy you got that straightened out.

Hey, man, I'm on my treadmill 4-5 days a week!  Not that you can tell by the way I look....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell