Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: From The Oldest Brewery In America: Yuengling Lager  (Read 3905 times)

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
From The Oldest Brewery In America: Yuengling Lager
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:27:40 pm »

The taste wasn't complex, but it did have more to offer than your regular American lager. I experienced sweet malt in the front and middle. In the back end, I was hit with this lemony/salty flavor that surprisingly wasn't off putting. This was light to medium body with a thin watery texture. Carbonation feel was soft that went well with the lemony finish.

All in all, this was a pretty decent beer. For around six dollars a six pack, you really can do worse. I definitely see myself buying a 6-12 pack of this and watching a sporting event or busting it out for a tailgate.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0HVbEFDQU

For those people that have had tried it, What do you think of this lager?

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: From The Oldest Brewery In America: Yuengling Lager
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:04 pm »
it's really one of the only lagers i like.  a very good friend of mine is from philly.  his brother sends cases out a couple times a year.  it makes for a nice nfl playoff season. 
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:06:45 pm »
I grew up on that stuff.  It tastes like home to me.

I usually have some in the fridge.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:59:21 am »
I'm a big fan of Yuengling and their different beers.  The lager I feel is much more complex than commercial lagers you find most places.  I and many of my friends would bring a case back whenever we traveled to across the state border. I really feel that part of the appeal lies in the fact that they are America Oldest Brewery and comparably priced with the budweiser and miller-coors products.  The black and tan they sell is my real favorite of theirs.  I think they are history is what makes them great.  What do you guys think?
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:42:06 pm »
it's really one of the only lagers i like.  a very good friend of mine is from philly.  his brother sends cases out a couple times a year.  it makes for a nice nfl playoff season.  

Dude - you really need to try more lagers. A doppelbock is a lager. Go out and try Celabrator Doppelbock and then get back to us. Not all lagers are Bud, Miller and Coors. To say Yuengling Lager is the only lager you like speaks of much new adventures in your future.

As far as Yingalingaling as a decent beer goes, I too grew up on the stuff. In fact I remember when they released it. I grew up in PA. This beer used to have too much diacetyl (probably pitched too warm  ;) ) but has been cleaned up over the years. Not a bad beer, can be thirst quenching and goes great with late night post whisky drinking pop corn or pizza binge.  8)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:46:49 pm by majorvices »

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 08:05:06 pm »
As far as Yingalingaling as a decent beer goes, I too grew up on the stuff. In fact I remember when they released it. I grew up in PA.

Hmmm, since the lager was reintroduced in 1987 and Yuengling is the country's oldest brewery, does that imply that you're older than, heaven forbid, Denny?
Joe

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 06:22:58 am »
I drink it often, being in South Jersey it's fairly ubiquitous.
Matter of fact if you go to a bar and order a "lager" you'll get a Yuengling.
I drink their Porter quite often.
The Chesterfield Ale is also good but the last couple of times I bought it it was skunked.(green bottles)
The Premium and Black & Tan are also good.
None of their beers are going to knock your socks off, but for a relatively inexpensive beer I think they are worth a try.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 07:23:29 am »
As far as Yingalingaling as a decent beer goes, I too grew up on the stuff. In fact I remember when they released it. I grew up in PA.

Hmmm, since the lager was reintroduced in 1987 and Yuengling is the country's oldest brewery, does that imply that you're older than, heaven forbid, Denny?

In 1987 I was 17. No I am not older than papa denny and yes, I did split a case with a few friends when it first came out. Don't remember it being reintroduced, but that may have been the case. Like I said, I was 17.  ;)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 08:39:22 am »
Yuengling turned out to be the "little brewery that could".
When you consider that they were on the brink of closing a mere 35 years ago, it's very gratifying to see their revival and success growing their brand  in recent years as they inch closer to the 200 year milestone of being run by the same family.  They must be doing something right.

They deserve their success because the beers are consistently good, and they manage to cater to the average taste with some above average products.  The lager is a cut above any of the BMC offerings.   I'm not one who buys a lot of commercial beer, but their beers (especially the Porter and Chesterfield Ale) are definitely on my short list. 
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:58 am »
I like to support them because they support the craft beer brewers and home brewers here in Florida.  The brewmaster at the Tampa brewery is a genuine nice guy and lends our club the bier garden every year to do the judging of our local competition.  He once gave me the recipe for Black and Tan, which turns out to be a blend of the Porter and Lager, so two recipes actually.  When I told him I was having trouble finding "high maltose corn syrup" he gave me a bucket full of it out of his bulk silo.  And yeast.  And hops.  Real nice people.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:13 am »
I'm a fan of their beers too.  I went to school nearby and my family drinks a lot of their beer.  I'm sure I'll have my share when I travel back east for my brother's wedding next month.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 12:36:11 pm »
Two mugs up for Yuengling Lager. A fine beer indeed. Not my favorite by any means but a good one. Probably in the middle of the pack, give or take. They have been fairly consistent through the years and definitely have stood the test of time.
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 03:11:47 pm »
They've been doing some seasonals here, too.  A pretty decent APA, which they called an IPA  ;) and an American style Bock in the spring, sorta like Shiner.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:13:42 am »

I think the AHA has a rule:  No one can be older than Denny.  But, one could also argue that few have done as much to help us all become better brewers than him. I know I'm a better brewer for having met the guy.