Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Trade Etiquette  (Read 3035 times)

Offline arsenal610

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Inspector
Beer Trade Etiquette
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:23 pm »
I was just wondering how beer trades usually work(money,sending it out, what's a good number of bottles to send out etc.)

Is it legal to mail beer in the States?

What other advice can you give me when it comes to beer trading?

Any help would be great!
Thanks.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Beer Trade Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:46 am »
I don't know of any trading going on via this forum, but on other sites the way I've seen it work is beer for beer only. You try and match roughly the value/rarity of the beers being traded.

Beer is not legal to mail via the USPS. Fed Ex and UPS have a seemingly changing set of rules and it mostly seems to vary based on who sees your package. (We see this on the shipping of homebrew side of the fence). As for the state viewpoint on shipping beer, I'm fairly certain most states would be annoyed, but I don't know what they would grab you for.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:38:20 am »
I was just wondering how beer trades usually work(money,sending it out, what's a good number of bottles to send out etc.)

Is it legal to mail beer in the States?

What other advice can you give me when it comes to beer trading?

Any help would be great!
Thanks.

I've traded beer and hops never been burned and tasted some awesome brew. Quid pro quo. Traded glasses for beer once also. If you do, invest in those brown PET beer bottles. That way they travel safely and no problems with breakage or the authorities. RDWHAHB.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:49:38 am »
If trading involves shipping, the litmus test is to hold the packed box over your head and to throw it onto the ground. If nothing shatters you have packaged it correctly.

If you are doing a series of trades it is always best to give a little somthing extra...coasters, openers, glass, another beer, etc...over and above what was promised. Karma will take care of you if you do. If it is a one and done, just send what was promised and maybe a cookie  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:19 am »
I used to send a beer-of-the-month box full of either homebrew or local commercial brews in exchange for friends' and relatives' local beers, but they were all so lethargic about returning it I eventually stopped. 
Shipping from a commercial location by UPS or FedEx is fine, but they may not like it if you declare alcohol when dropping it off at the shipper's (UPS, FedEx) office.  In other words, do all the shipping paperwork on-line and then simply drop it off at any commercial pick-up spot, like an office supply store.
It is illegal to use the postal service to mail alcohol, but not illegal to mail malt extract or yeast samples.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:15:44 am »
Never trade with me unless I send something to you first.  If you don't get anything right away it takes me half of forever to return anything. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:48:09 am »
Never trade with me unless I send something to you first.  If you don't get anything right away it takes me half of forever to return anything. :)

Now you tell me! ;)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 02:38:03 pm »
My take on this is if someone gives you something you try to give back... unfortunately its harder when its the 'online' community trading.. especially living in another state... A guy up in WA just sent me 6oz of his homegrown hops... I have every intention of sending him a 6pack once I get it brewed... pay em back! pay it forward!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 03:06:55 pm »
My take on this is if someone gives you something you try to give back... unfortunately its harder when its the 'online' community trading.. especially living in another state... A guy up in WA just sent me 6oz of his homegrown hops... I have every intention of sending him a 6pack once I get it brewed... pay em back! pay it forward!

I'll trade you 6ozs. of hops for a sixer. What are you looking for? :D

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:52 pm »
I have sent out a few pounds in my time, but don't really expect to get anything back.

It is nice to hear if folks like them however.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 05:43:30 pm »

Now you tell me! ;)

;D  The longer it takes the better the package will be. ;)
Tom Schmidlin